MS Live OneCare Security Scanner: Credible Alternatives? Please Help

I have gradually been pruning out my bloatware and my MS ware as much as I could, and recently canned the MS Windows firewall in favor of the PC Tools Fiirewall. That leaves me with one last remaining dependency: I use the MS Live OneCare Sec. Scan a lot because it reveals problems and can also help to cure them. Like fragmentation and excess userless files. Would someone please suggest something along the lines of the MS Live OneCare Sec. Scan, online, but a whole lot better--doing similar deep scans and deep fixes better than MS does? I would like some suggestions, please. Thank you for helping me! Robb

Reply to
robb
Loading thread data ...

If you want get rid of Microsoft software install Linux.

Bad choice. You cannot deinstall the Microsoft Windows firewall. Now you have installed an additional bloated software firewall. Deinstall the software firewall and use the Microsoft Windows firewall. If you don't trust Microsoft don't use Windows. If you use Windows use the Microsoft Windows firewall. There is little use distrusting Microsoft and thus not using the MS firewall while still running on their operating system. Microsoft still knows the best how to mess with their operating systems without breaking too much. Other software firewalls are worse.

Again. Stick with Microsoft or don't use Windows at all. Trusting on other company's software to fix deeper OS trouble can be risky. While other software may be helpful to fix smaller issues, for larger issues Microsoft is still the best source. Thinking other companies can fix the issues which Microsoft can not fix is kind of naive. If you believe Microsoft is so bad don't run Windows as a base for everything.

Linux saves you that trouble. I would recommend to switch to Linux. That gets rid of all Microsoft software. There is only very little Microsoft software which runs directly on Linux. ;-) If you need Windows for some applications which are only available for Windows, get a virtual machine like vmware, parallels or similar and install Windows in the virtual machine. That works fine for most software.

Gerald

Reply to
Gerald Vogt

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.