Most sophisticated free firewall?

Loading thread data ...

Reply to
Eric

I would not go thus far as to say the death of personal firewall. The best one in our opinion is still ZoneAlarm Free.

This was the review we've done earlier:

formatting link

Chris

Reply to
good.freeware.chau

If ZA is the topic, you must be referring to this:

formatting link

However, I find nothing on that page except personal preference.

Technically ZA free leaks like a sieve.

/B. Nice

Reply to
B. Nice

Please provide a reputable, recognized group that shows your position - link would be nice.

Reply to
Leythos

Your own reactions to similar requests normally have been "look it up yourself" or "I don't have to prove anything".

I see no reason to act differently.

Reply to
B. Nice

I googled for anything reputable that seemed to indicate your position is correct and was unable, after 30 minutes, to find anything that agreed with your statement.

Since I've already tried, for 30 minutes, how about a link to a single reputable article that backs your statement, if you have anything to backup your statement.

Reply to
Leythos

"...Since I've already tried, for 30 minutes..."

Reply to
Kayman

Hey, while I don't know enough about the site, it was very interesting to see a few things:

1) Windows firewall failed all test :) 2) It shows about what I expected, and was interesting to see. 3) It provides proof that the Windows XP Firewall is all but useless.

Thanks for providing the link, I will attempt to learn about the site owners.

Reply to
Leythos

"...it was very interesting to see a few things:

1) Windows firewall failed all test :) "

Well, yes. The way I understand is that Windows firewall never claimed to filter outbound applications.

Reply to
Kayman

Which isn't very surprising, since the Windows-Firewall doesn't do outbound filtering, and doesn't claim to do it. The tests are targeted at firewalls that *claim* to be capable of outbound filtering.

Leythos' statement above is equivalent to "A-ha! Windows notepad fails at detecting viruses!!1eleventeen". Duh.

Correct.

cu

59cobalt
Reply to
Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

Actually it does (to capture state information for related connections) but allows all traffic by default. My only problem with is that this should be an explicit rule, just like we add it to many other packet filters by default.

Actually it does: Just open the binary in Notepad and browse a bit around, you'll easily find strings table and import sections which can give you somewhat good evidence for malicious activity.

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

After all that..could we have a top 5 best free personal firewalls?

Thanks

Sebastian Gottschalk wrote:

Reply to
Eric

With "best" you mean "least bad"?

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

the OP asked for an opinion....not a proof

Reply to
Osiris

1: IPTables.
Reply to
Osiris

If you don't have a factual basis for your "opinion" then what do you have?

Reply to
Leythos

what about beliefs, preferences, impressions ? to call "reputation", "recognition", "link", factual sounds quite pompous.

Reply to
Osiris

How about it being Pompous of you to assume that an Opinion carries any truth unless backed by some facts that can be validated - and the results from a "reputable" group gives reason to believe what they state as fact is fact.

You've still not shown anything except your pompous self.

Reply to
Leythos

That has no place in a security group unless it's based on fact.

cu

59cobalt
Reply to
Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.