More questions on Robotics and ZoneAlarm

Hello,

Not very long ago I posted questions regarding the use of a USRobotics router 8045 connected by cable to a single PC and connected to the net by a Westll DSL modem. as a firewall.

I have now installed such a router and it allows me to send e-mail and to look at websites. I do not know how to check its effectiveness as a firewall and I have let ZoneAlarm in place. When my antivirus software asks for access to the internet and I grant it, updates can be downloaded. When I shut ZoneAlarm off however, then the antivirus program reports it has no access to the internet and does not download updates. Seemingly the router blocks access to the internet, but does not so when ZoneAlarm is active.

I would appreciate to learn answers to the following questions: How can one check the effectiveness of the router's firewall? How can I set up the router in such a way that selected programs other than the browser and e-mail can access the internet?

Some details: I went to 192.168.123.254 and set up as admin and set a password. LAN IP Address is 192.168.123.254 LAN Subnet Mask is 255.255.255.0 DHSP Server is enabled. Range Start 192.168.123.100 Range End 192.168.123.199 Obtain IP automatically (DHCP client) is checked.

I think I may be missing something.

GR.

Reply to
NoSpam
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.