MAC address does not show up on the telco's ARP table caches

// __ 20050915 14:15 Hi,

I am using as ISP that uses the telephone/DSL network from the local telco to provide their clients with broadband/DSL access (they do provide a better/marginally cheaper service).

The thing is that I am repeatedly (and way too often) kicked off the net in ways that even my ISP tech suppost considers to be "very strange"

I know I am connected to the Net because if I run ethereal setting my card on promiscuos mode (I am connecting to the Net directly), I can see the whole traffic of what is going on on my domain. I must be a heck of a guesser to make up an ethereal ethernet traffic log.

They have told me things like:

._ your MAC address does not show on the telco's cache.

._ your MAC does temporarily show on their ARP table cache sometimes(?!), but as an imcomplete address

._ their ARP tables also show lots of different MAC addresses assigned to you that are actually not yours

Also my ISP has a procedure to refresh your NIC's MAC addresses that I have used to no avail. I have even tried using dirrent NICs on X86 boxes and even a Mac.

What could be the 'technical' reasons why this could be happening?

Thanks dennishartman

Reply to
dennishartman
Loading thread data ...

In comp.security.firewalls dennishartman wrote: [loosing connectivity]

This your provider must find out. This is much too less information to help.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.