Looking for appliance to overcome firewall

I have a need to demo IP enabled equipment at potential customer premises FROM THE OUTSIDE.

This causes all kinds of headaches getting the IT guy to open up an incoming port to my box so I can command it from my office.

I am wondering if there is an applicance that uses outgoing requests to fool a firewall into allowing the outside data in.

It would need to be a paired setup and best if it uses port 80. Since the inside device would essentially be polling the outside device, it would not be fast - but it does not have to be.

I talked it over with a couple of VPN appliance vendors and one of them said it was possible - "basically that is how IM gets in" but he did not know of one.

Anyone know if this exists and where I could buy one?

Thanks

Bill

Reply to
Bill
Loading thread data ...

Why can't you just get a VPN appliance and setup so that it forms a VPN tunnel to your office and then you can connect your PC to your local VPN appliance, the VPN appliance to the customers network, and as long as they permit PPTP or IPSec outbound unrestricted (which I would never do), then you can run without them having to do anything.

Reply to
Leythos

Am I missing something?

Why not "ask permission?"

Reply to
Notan

VPN appliances don't solve the problem since most firewalls still have to be touched to enable a tunnel

sometimes permission is not given and since I am trying to sell them a product, I can't twist arms.

A plug & play solution that does not involve talking to the IT guy is what I am looking for.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

You're not looking for the right appliances (sorry to follow my own post).

There are new SSL VPN appliances, and many companies leave SSL open, check on the newer SSL VPN appliances.

Reply to
Leythos

Bill,

I'm confused. If you are invited in to demonstrate an appliance which you are going to connect to a network, would the person who invited you in not be breaching local security policy by allowing you to connect your device 'without permission'? (If someone allowed a supplier to connect a device to ANY part of my network without permission, they would face disciplinary action, if not sacking and any supplier attempting such actions would be banned from site.)

Would it be a workable solution to provide your customer with a laptop or some other portable device, with a cellular telephone (assuming that would be allowed) for connectivity to demonstrate it's remote capabilities?

Bogwitch.

Bill wrote:

Reply to
Bogwitch

So you want to covertly circumvent their network security? I wish I knew what you were selling and to whom...

Reply to
Default User

Sounds like a Trojan horse if there ever was one!

Reply to
Rick Merrill

formatting link

Reply to
Wayne

"Bill" wrote in news:45c9f4ed$0$5802$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

So... you want to avoid talking to the IT guys for what reason exactly? The IT department likely denied it for a reason. I don't think it is because of a God complex. Why keep them out of the loop? My next question is, what are you trying to sell that raised the antenna of the IT guys? See point one... they likely denied it for a reason. How about a bit of info on this product?

Reply to
AwPhuch

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.