Load balancing firewalls?

Hi All,

I'm setting up a dual-ISP setup at home (cable modem and ADSL) and am shopping around a dual-ISP-capable firewall box.

Ideally, I'd like the box to be able to handle:

1) DMZ (at least one zone) because I'll be hooking up a gaming server off of this router

2) Static and Dynamic NAT

3) Load balancing (combining and treating the two ISPs like a single, large data pipe both in and out) for those computers not in the DMZ (that computer is getting a static IP).

4) Web-manageable (not Cisco PIX CLI)

I'm thinking like the Firebox X500 + Fireware Pro or Sonic Wall TZ-170

+SonicOS Upgrade maybe.

I'm open to all ideas; the cheaper, the better.

Thanks, Curtis

Reply to
Shade
Loading thread data ...

Shade bashed at the keyboard and came up with this gem of wisdom in alt.computer.security:

Linux. BSD

Reply to
Michael Thompson

I use FreeBSD's ipfw. It is an excellent firewall...

Imhotep

Reply to
Imhotep

I appreciate the ideas of FreeBSD and Linux, but I'm trying to avoid a CLI.

Reply to
Shade

Interested to hear if you find something that does load balancing in a price range you can live with. Many low to medium firewalls do everything you want except the load balancing.

-Russ.

Reply to
Somebody.

Better change your mind. I don't know any single person, who is not able to use a CLI but is able to understand much about networking and computer security.

And this conincidence is no fortuity, I bet.

BTW: there are many GUIs and web UIs for netfilter and other free filtering software, too.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Reply to
Shade

Those look kind of neat, if they work as advertised. They could be used outside of a "real" firewall potentially.

-Russ.

Reply to
Somebody.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.