Linksys Router Question

Hi All,

I'm not sure if this is the best place to get an answer, but I'll try explaining my problem.

I need some help setting up my router configuration.

I have a fixed IP with my DSL company. I have a wired Linksys router (192.168.1.1) which plugs into a 16 port switch. From there I have several devices, each with its own 192.168.x.x IP number. The wired router is set up as PPPoE.

Recently I purchased a Sony Laptop with a wireless NIC inside. So, I bought a wireless Linksys router. I cannot get this thing to work.

I would like to hook the wireless router into the switch, and that way I can map drives between my computers and laptop on my own network. My wired router, which hooks to my DSL modem can still be the gateway out.

I'm not sure how to set this up since the wireless router also has an IP of 192.168.1.1. I have made no progress in 2 weeks and I'm really frustrated.

Can anyone provide some assistance? I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Arthur snipped-for-privacy@unsu.com

Reply to
amerar
Loading thread data ...

You don't need two routers, take the wireless one back and get an Access Point, it's all you need (don't forget to secure it).

Reply to
Leythos

snipped-for-privacy@iwc.net wrote in news:1113413020.975442.24900 @o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

What do you mean that the router plugs into switch? Is not the router the gateway device and you plug the switch into one of the LAN ports of the router to extend the LAN? That would mean you would have at least 3 LAN ports open on the router with one port taken by the 16 port switch to extend the network.

You would have to configure the wireless/wire router to be a *switch* and plug it into one of the 16 ports on switch or plug it into one of the open LAN ports on the router.

You have to set the device IP of the second router to one of the static IP (s) on the wire gateway router, like you would set the device IP to

192.168.1.2 with subnet matching the subnet of the wire router for the second router. That way all machines on the network wired or wireless for the wire router, switch, or wire/wireless AP switch can share resources.

This should help and the principles are the same no matter if wire/wire, wire/wireless or wireless/wireless routers being connected.

formatting link
On the other hand, all you needed is one of thses and just plugged into the LAN port on the router or the 16 port swicth. :)

formatting link
You should look into wireless security for the home.

formatting link
Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

1. Change the IP to 192.168.1.2 (or something else if that is in use) mask

1. Disable the DHCP feature of the router.

2. Plug the wireless router into any switch port using one of the LAN ports (NOT the WAN port). Note you may need a crossover cable for this unless one of the ports you are using supports auto MDIX or has a MDI/MDIX toggle switch.

1. Configure security for the wireless portion of your network.

Reply to
Wayne

Not necessary, just change the DHCP start address to 192.168.1.3 (assuming the local lan is numbered as per your 1.)

Reply to
Sunny

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 20:49:06 -0400, Sunny spoketh

Yes, it is necessary to disable the DHCP server. If you don't do it, you'll have two DHCP servers on the network handing out different information. If a computer gets an address from the DHCP server that isn't handing out the right gateway and/or DNS information, then that computer will not be able to get to the internet.

Lars M. Hansen

formatting link
'badnews' with 'news' in e-mail address)

Reply to
Lars M. Hansen

OK, that needs clarification. The wireless router should have it's DHCP server disabled, and the wired router probably needs it's DHCP range adjusted.

Sunny

Reply to
Sunny

Probably not. Default Linksys DHCP range is 192.168.100-150.

Reply to
Wayne

[snip]

Being as this is a home network and the Linksys units don't support reservations, you should only have one unit setup with DHCP enabled.

Also, you should not be using the default network range provided with any product, change the default range to something like 192.168.10.0/24 so that exploits can't directly find your router at it's default address.

Reply to
Leythos

Sorry if this is already answered.

I just did this and actually got the answer from the Linksys page. This is what you have correct?

ISP Wired router Wireless router Laptop

On your wireless router, set IP address to 192.168.1.254, netmask to 255.255.255.0 and disable the DHCP.

Reply to
Zilla

Wrong setup:

ISP, wired router (enable DHCP) wireless router (enable DHCP) laptop.

You need to change the networks so that each router uses a different network range - set the wired one to 192.168.10.1 and the wireless one to

192.168.11.1 - this will prevent any conflicts.

Now if you had done this properly, bought an ACCESS POINT, your setup would look like this:

ISP Wired Router (DHCP enabled) ACCESS POINT

Now the wireless and wired would use the same network scope.

Reply to
Leythos

I have mine set up EXACTLY the way I described it (OP may not, so I asked), and it works. I did NOT want 2 networks, just one. My wireless is now essentially an access point. I have both wired and wireless devices working of it, with the wired devices getting their DHCP requests from the wired router.

Reply to
Zilla

BTW, here's the Linksys article I mentioned.

formatting link

Reply to
Zilla

formatting link
I didn't use the UPLink port on my FW appliance when connecting the Linksys BEFW11S4 wireless router to a LAN port on the FW appliance, because there is no UPLink port.

If the second router is a Linksys, then you'll want to take it out of

*gateway* mode, which was indicated as something to do by Linksys Tech Support. At least on the setup I used for the Linksys.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.