Linksys router firmware upgrade

I upgraded my firmware for my linksys router befw11s4. before the upgrade it was the factory settings and wouls pass shieldsup test after upgrade shows all ports as closed and fails upgrade. I tried contacting Linksys tech support. waste of time. using chat the guy just quit responding didn't seem to have a clue anyway. Anybody have experience with this type of issue. I had assumed that the upgrade would restore the router to the same setting as when i bought it. But you know what happens when you assume. Thanks for any help i can get.

Reply to
revbrian
Loading thread data ...

Why did you upgrade in the first place, unless there was some feature that you were going to use? If it was working before and wasn't broke, then why did you fix it with an upgrade?

Secondly, if all ports are *closed*, then what's the problem? What ports are you talking about anyway?

Thirdly, as far as some Gibson Shileds-up stupid test and stealth, that's a BS test for personal FW(s) users to begin with and some kind nonsense to sooth a personal FW user and BS them about stealthed.

Ooo, I am stealthed in my little personal FW security blanket let me lay in the blanket and let it cover me with its stealthness. The port is closed or its open. and find some other testing sites.

Fourthly, the machines behind the router are stealthed as the O/S on the machines or personal FW you have running on them are not going to react to unsolicited inbound traffic due to them setting behind the router, now that's stealthed if you want to call something being stealthed.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Hello

I just recently also upgraded the firmware. I had a problem with the upgrade just stopping in mid update. I tried serveral times an d kept getting the same error message ( forget what it was now).

Tried to upgrade then press teh reset butten on the router..... router... no go... then tried to upgrade and power down / unplug the cable modem... no go.... Then tried to upgrade and reboot the computer....no go.... Then tried to upgrade and unplug the cable moden and router and completely power down the computer and restart .... no go.

Contacted the tech support and they tried but were no help....... first question they asked....after i had already stated whate version I currently had was, please verify the model and version of router I had. I again game them the version..... BEFW11S4 v2.0.

Of course this was after a 5 minute wait for them to respond to my initial request fore help. It seemed that the more questions I asked the longer it got for them to respond... At times I thought I maybe they were just ignoring me...

In any case I gave up on them.

I then went back to the update site and down loaded the SETUP WIZARD thinking ok maybe this would do it for me. Sure enough.... I executed the wizard and the program / update processed without any exceptions and updated my firmware and teh completion message the wizard stated that the firm ware was now update to version??????. I think I then pressed the reset button on the router just to make sure that all was ok and yaaaa success..... Now when I go to the "Status" button on the linsys set up (198.162.1.1) it reads firmware version 1.45.10, April

15, 2004.

ensure that you down load the correect version i.e BEFW11S4 v2.0. or BEFW11S4 v3.0 or BEFW11S4 v3.2 or BEFW11S4 v4.0 etc.

links where i DL'ed the setup wizard.....

formatting link

Hope this helps..

AKA Cast8Away AKA Dobbie

May Your Sock Count Always Be Even

Reply to
TheWolFMaN

AKA Cast8Away AKA Dobbie

May Your Sock Count Always Be Even

Reply to
TheWolFMaN

I was trying to fix a login issue with lycos phone. i have the router FW and i run zonealarm. I tried to contact linksys support. the are a waste of time. they have you change a setting on the router which causes the router to reset, you lose the chat connection and start over. i tried email they just dont reply.

Reply to
revbrian

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.