Lightweight Firewall?

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a firewall for windows xp. I am looking for one that checks outgoing and that is easy on system resources.

The interface and ease of use don't really matter to me. It would be a bonus if it was free, but I don't mind paying for it.

Thanks in advance, Allan

Reply to
Allan
Loading thread data ...

But well, checking for outgoing traffic is pretty useless except when this workstation is NATing for some client - which would indeed need a routing firewall, which has to do that anyway.

formatting link

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

There is no such program as that.

I suggest that if you have a DSL or Broadband connection that you go get yourself a FW router like a Netgear that's ICSA certified that's under $100 that you can set inbound or outbound FW rules to stop traffic if need be, which you you can use something like Wallwatcher (free) to watch inbound or outbound connections to possible dubious IP(s).

You can then use the tools in the link to track it down if need be.

Long

formatting link
Short

formatting link
The FW router doesn't run with the O/S and therefore it's light on the resources.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

NetVeda SafetyNet. (free for home user and fairly light on resources).

formatting link

Reply to
ACME

The lightest ones are usually rule based, for example Kerio 2.1.5, Jetico, Filseclab, SensiveGuard (all free). A few of the more common ones are fairly light, for example Sygate uses about 8mb ram when idle. I prefer just a router myself, but there are tons to choose from if that's what you want.

Here's a list of free ones you might check out:

formatting link

Reply to
Kerodo

I've been satisfied with ZoneAlarm Free.

Reply to
MyVeryOwnSelf

I just checked the installer's size is 6.5 MB. What a monster!

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

He wants a firewall, not a remote vulnerability.

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

They're all employing application control, a big resource waste. Not talking about known vulnerabilities, general quality of implementation...

And a Windows service that opens windows, creating a wonderful Privilege Escalation that wasn't there in before. Ouch!

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

Please justify this comment.

Reply to
Robert

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

SIZE matters :-/ Wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang Ewert

DoS through UDP and ICMP flooding, beside that it's of pretty poor quality and a resource monster (most due to its useless application control bugs^Wfeatures).

Not to mention that it's phoning home...

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

FWIW, I've been using Sygate PFW [free] for the last eight months with no problems. Simple and does what you're looking for. Unfortunately, it's no longer supported.

Might still be available at:

Sygate Personal Firewall (free) v5.5 can be downloaded here:

formatting link
Pro v5.5 can be downloaded here:
formatting link
TomJ

Reply to
TomJ

The Windows-Firewall / ICF.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Sorry. The Sygate Pro firewall is now integrated with the Norton and Symantec security suites, and is not available as a standalone product.

Reply to
Iceman

Sygate Personal Firewall v5.6 built 2808 (free)is available at:

formatting link
formatting link
there are others. Casey

Reply to
Casey

Yeah, "oldversion" should express the problem very well. Wanna gamble around with known vulnerabilities in old versions?

Anyway, simple stop thinking about deploying this crappy piece of software at all.

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

*sigh*

When ever will people notice, that "I've no problems!!1!!11" and "I am secure against those threats" are two completely different things.

And when will they realize, that most of them have "no problems", because they're already member of a bot net for months and just don't realize.

"TomJ", when will you realize that?

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Maybe they won't realize it because it has never happened. Maybe they also use things such as SpyBot S&D and the like.

For general home use there is nothing that will provide absolute protection. The general home user will not pay thousands of dollars for corporate level firewalls and hire Chloe from 24 full time to watch their desktop PC for them.

So why worry? As long as *you* are protecting yourself, what the clueless masses do is of none of your business. Ridiculing them because they have the nerve to be on the net without having bought and installed a Watchguard X Peak firewall is silly.

Reply to
Spender

If nothing happened, then it can't be due to this security simulation.

Eh... what do you want to say?

Right: There's no need for any security software at all.

The spam in my Inbox clearly tells that you're wrong.

It's ridiculous if they don't install any patches, browse the web with IE and mail around with Outlook Express, don't disable unnecessary services and click on everything "because my software firewall is superior !!!11".

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.