Leaving computers on after work?

X-No-Archive: Yes

I thought virtually any employer around would require you to turn your work PC off at the end of the day. I find that some of the Tor relay nodes are on corporate networks, and some employees have Tor relay nodes running on them all weekend. I can find this by surfing my web site through Tor, and looking at the access log, and I see that there is one node on a corporate network in Germany that some employee is turning into a Tor relay node all weekend. I would think that any employer would not allow someone to leave their computer on after they leave work, but someone on a corporate network in Berlin is running a Tor relay node on their work PC, after they leave work for the day.

There are two methods for creating Tor nodes. The first, is to create a relay node requiring the Tor software to use, then the other is to install the Tor software on a server, but configure it to work as a public Tor proxy, and anybody can access, Tor software not required, that routes their traffic ontothe Tor network. That is what I operate on my server. Anybody around the world can access Tor from Tor entry servers, like mine, without having to install the client software. Very handy on work or school PCs where the machine is locked down to prevent installation of any software. Just change your browser setting to any public Tor entry server, and you are good to go.

Reply to
Chilly8
Loading thread data ...

And when the connection is found by the IT department in a network that is not properly secured - they will be disciplined for company policy violations. In the case of a properly secured company network your "just change your settings... " would not work, as they would not be permitted access to non-company approved websites.

Reply to
Leythos

Well, I will say this. We are covering the WTA Zurich tennis tournamant this week, and I am seeing connections from corporate networks all over Europe. I have 136 on my message board right now, and I would say about 90 percent of them are coming from corporate networks all over Europe.

When doing sports and talk programming, there are other feeds I turn on, and between that, and the message boards, I am pulling about 9.6 megabits transfer rate right now, and nearly allow it from corporate networks in Europe, and some users on corporate networks in the Eastern USA are conecting now, as the workday is just about to begin there. The number of people connecting from coroprate networks in Europe to various forms of our coverage right now, is staggering.

As the workday begins for you there, someone could be tuned in to one of the various forms of our coverage, right now, and you might not spot it right away, if they are using the message forums.

Reply to
Chilly8

I have a bloke from England in one of my chat rooms dedicated to coverage who is using encrypted tunnel to his residential DSL line on these new 25 megabit lines they have in England, and the he is tunneling out from there to my server, and he this guy is even BOASTING in my chat room right now that the boss will NEVER catch him, and he may well be right, if he is using strong enough encryption.

Reply to
Chilly8

Which proves my point - there are a lot of improperly secured networks, and that's the only reason you are able to make a dime off your unethical manner.

Reply to
Leythos

Like you, there are a lot of DUMB people out there.

If his employer has a firewall that can provide real-time monitoring, the tunnel is very easy to spot and will get the chap booted. Tunnels are the easiest things to see/detect.

Reply to
Leythos

And that was just for "small fry" in tennis. I am just wondering what will happen when the Big Guns of tennis take the court later on this week. WTA Zurich is the unofficial European championships of tennis, and there European players in the top 10. Jenin, Jankovic, and Sharapova are expected to take the court later on this week. And when the various P2P TV services also get into the picture, I think corporate network admins in Europe better stock up on their supply of headache pills, they are going to NEED them, it looks like. I can just imagine the strain on corporate networks all over Europe when these three young ladies take the court in Zurich later on this week.

I saw enough hits on my public Tor entrance proxy, that it actually started spitting out all kinds of strange errors that I had to have my server reboot to solve the problem. My server is on a 100 meg pipe, but Windows starts to become unstable with a fraction of that load. A mere 183 people on my message board at once started to slow the server down. For machines running either vBulletin or phpBB BBS software, Windows starts to slow down when the user load gets up around 200. Figure Skating Universe, which uses vBulletin, starts to become very unstable at about 500 users and their server will actually crash when the user load gets up around 1,000 users. The trouble is that MySQL, which phpBB and vBulletin both need, is ONLY available for Windows machines. Also, Live 365, my primary stream connection, ONLY supports Windows machines, so I am stuck using Windoze on my server.

Reply to
chilly8

So, besides supporting unethical behavior you don't know how to setup servers either.

Reply to
Leythos

And I was right. I have a 17.8 megabit load, nearly twice what I had yesterday, almost all of it coming from corporate networks all over Europe. And a 798K video feed we are offering as well, European corporate network admins will be wondering where all the bandwidth is going today.

And for American admins, if you see a huge spike in bandwidth usage, that suddenly drops off about 2PM US Eastern time, that will have been people on your network watching our video feed of the WTA Zurich tennis tournament.

Reply to
Chilly8

And the strains on coporate networks could go even higher, There one match coming up with one of the top tennis players in Europe, so that might slow down a a lot of coroprate networks in Europe as people tune in to watch from work

Reply to
Chilly8

mmm can you give me some pointers on how to detect tunnels or encapsulated traffic (don't know if they are called tunnels as well) but with this i mean for instance icmp packets carrying application headers (eg: http)

Reply to
goarilla

wtf ... iirc WTA Zurich is not even a grand slam and in general the big guns only go to these things to prepare for the grand slams like wimbledon. And who the hell is Jenin if you mean henin than shame on you for mistyping the nr 1 female tennis player and co-belgian justin henin

Reply to
goarilla

MySQL is a windows only program hahahahahahaa f****ng idiot it's an opensource SQL server, same goes for phpBB.

if you were talking about MSSQL than yes Microsoft SQL server is Windows only.

Reply to
goarilla

where was there any indication he did anything unethical? i'm sure i just missed it but his broken english doesn't make it easy to, nor does it give you the incentive to read his whole post

Reply to
goarilla

I'd be worried about *any* machine emitting a large amount of ICMP traffic, either the packet count or the overall bandwidth associated with ICMP being too high would set off flags as being a likely participant in a DDoS.

I might not catch 2MB of data, but then 2MB of data won't adversely affect a corporate network either.

Reply to
DevilsPGD

Someone smack me, I've got to be dreaming, he can't be THAT dumb...

Reply to
DevilsPGD

Since the tunnel doesn't change IP's source/destination, it's easy enough to find - just look for anything that maintains a connection.

Reply to
Leythos

Data tunneled through an ICMP connection doesn't "maintain" a connection (nor does UDP, unless you understand the application layer protocol)

However, the spike of ICMP traffic itself would set of flags.

Reply to
DevilsPGD

He is, so could you please stop feeding that idiot?

cu

59cobalt
Reply to
Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

Sorry about that, but I am the WORST proofreader there ever was.

Also, I have seen enough load on my server to slow it down. While I have the bandwidth to handle the load, the server tends to slow down if a lot of people come onto the message boards or chat rooms. Today, it slowed the server enough where the connection to Live 365 dropped off several times. The Live 365 broadcasting tool shows the CPU efficiency in real time, and the CPU efficiency, at one point, had dropped to 8.1 percent. There was quiite a load on my server this morning, and coming almost entirely from corporate network addresses in Europe.

Reply to
chilly8

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.