Least cpu-intensive firewall and antivirus?

I noticed that most of my cpu usage when leaving my computer on while it downloads a torrent is by either the firewall (sygate) or the antivirus (avast). This is despite having an AMD64 processor (though using regular windows xp - 32).

I'm not pleased at this. What are the least cpu-intensive firewall and antivirus I could use?

Reply to
casioculture
Loading thread data ...

Definitely Kerio v2.1.5 for the firewall.

I'm happy with avast! as an antivirus, although most of my first line of defense comes from myself rather than the software.

Reply to
Joe Canuck

No idea. With my 1200MHz Athlon, Kerio 4 uses a bit less than 1%. AV-wise, avast! uses about 0.3%. If avast! is also used to monitor email and web, add about the same for each. Not a big hit...

-- dadiOH ____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ....a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

formatting link

Reply to
dadiOH

If you really are seeing this then from what i remember from evaluating both this isn't typical. I'd make sure you don't have a system problem or see if somehow those programs got configured with bone-headed settings before blindly changing things.

Reply to
Robert Moir

The Windows-Firewall should not have such problems.

What do you think about not having an online-scanner, downloading the torrent to a quarantine directory, and scanning right before you use it for the very first time?

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Sygate - smc.exe uses 13,000 kb on my machine

NOD32, which is very low on resource usage, uses 19,000 kb.

It is my impression that Avast takes more resources, but not a lot more.

Louise

Reply to
louise

Hello, I'm not concerned about memory-usage. I have lots of memory. It's cpu-usage when downloading a torrent.

Reply to
casioculture

NOD32 2.5 for the AV - low CPU usage and good detection to boot Windows Firewall (I know - it's only inbound)

Clive

Reply to
Clive

eTrust AV (the one year eval version) is using 8452 KB in memory....I'll see if I can determine CPU usage

Reply to
Ricardo Morte

Avast is the best. It guards my network with the tenacity of a pit bull. If Avast, running on my gateway machine, detects a virus, trojan, etc, in any file being transferred, the program halts all network activity, until I log into the gateway machine and acknowledge. Avast halts all activity on the network to protect the machines on my network. That is how good it is.

Reply to
Charles Newman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.