Kapersky Internet Suite

Can anyone give an unbiased view as to whether it is worth paying extra for KIS over KAV (anti virus)

I currently use KAV + Spybot S&D + Adaware Personal-SE + Spybot

KAV is catching virus threats within emails (look like banking phishing attempts). Spybot + Adaware seem to be the ones everyone rates (nothing much coming out there apart from Avenue something or other). Generally I use my HOSTS file to block most ad sites and the firewall is good for trapping any other beggars that may want to connect to the internet

I like the way KAV updates its definitions frequently, and if the same technology is used for spy/mal ware then it is probably worth paying the extra, or do people think the above is sufficient

Reply to
Mike
Loading thread data ...

In message at 17:28:05 on Tue, 10 Jul 2007, Mike wrote

This is supposed to read I currently use KAV + Spybot S&D + Adaware Personal-SE + ZoneAlarm

Reply to
Mike

Virus threats within emails? Certainly, if a virus in an email is a real threat to your system, then no virus scanner can protect you from that. And since it makes SSL and TLS connections impossible, the virus scanner itself it a threat.

Anyway, KAV is a well-known defective product which allows privilege escalation and DoS attacks.

Replace "everyone" with "every incompetent user", then you'll get it right. Why do you think this extremely defective software which seems to report the whistling in the woods could be any good?

What a nonsense.

You'd wish. How should it accomplish that?

Beside that, this non-firewall (it's a host-based packet filter!) introduces trivial remote DoS as well as privilege escalation and local DoS.

At total, it seems that your system is hosed, crapped, insecure, misconfigured and that you have absolutely no clue what you're doing. And now you want to invest money to make it even worse?

Reply to
Sebastian G.

Most experts consider KAV a top-notch AV application.

Not really required; learn how to stay away from ad-ware in the first place. Practice Safe-Hex

formatting link

Same comment as for Spybot S&D Also read this

formatting link

You may wish to do some educational reading concerning phoney-baloney software aka PFW's:) Go to:

formatting link
formatting link
scroll down to: Myth: Host-Based Firewalls Must Filter Outbound Traffic to be Safe. Then read this: ("...the typical form of outbound protection in client firewalls is just security theater.)
formatting link

Reply to
Kayman

If the protection is adequate for you and you're happy with it, then go with it. You only answer to yourself, and in particular, no one in this NG.

practice safe hex

formatting link
try to secure the O/S as much as possible

formatting link

Reply to
Mr. Arnold

Your daddy, if he was ever around when you were running around in your Pamper, he should have beaten your little behind on a routine basis to bring you in check.

He should have beaten your behind in your Pamper, so that you would know how to treat people with respect, which you obviously were never taught.

You are a real expert's expert, and the only way you can show your expertise is with obnoxious and rude behavior.

That's right you lunatic run the potential posters off with your lunacy. :(

Reply to
Mr. Arnold

"Mr. Arnold" on the disrespectful Sebastian:

Go for it Duane. You tell the nasty man!

They're not afraid of Sebastian "what a bullshit" Gottschalk!

Reply to
Ant

Mr. Arnold,

I read your post with interest. Your reference

formatting link
really quite specific for WinXP. Do you know of a similar one written for Win2k?

Thank you GR.

Reply to
NoSpam

formatting link
is your friend)

Reply to
Kayman

Reply to
Kayman

Right in the opening paragraph, there is a link pointing to the *popular Windows 2000 Security Check List*, click on it.

Reply to
Mr. Arnold

Mr. Arnold,

Thank you. This is just what the doctor ordered.

GR.

Reply to
NoSpam

#Mike wrote: # #> Can anyone give an unbiased view as to whether it is worth paying extra #> for KIS over KAV (anti virus) #> #> I currently use KAV + Spybot S&D + Adaware Personal-SE + ZoneAlarm #> #> KAV is catching virus threats within emails (look like banking phishing #> attempts). # # #Virus threats within emails? Certainly, if a virus in an email is a real #threat to your system, then no virus scanner can protect you from that. And #since it makes SSL and TLS connections impossible, the virus scanner itself #it a threat. # #Anyway, KAV is a well-known defective product which allows privilege #escalation and DoS attacks. # #> Spybot + Adaware seem to be the ones everyone rates (nothing much coming #> out there apart from Avenue something or other). # # #Replace "everyone" with "every incompetent user", then you'll get it right. #Why do you think this extremely defective software which seems to report the #whistling in the woods could be any good? # #> Generally I use my HOSTS file to block most ad sites # # #What a nonsense. # #> and the firewall is good for trapping any other beggars that may want to #> connect to the internet # # #You'd wish. How should it accomplish that? # #Beside that, this non-firewall (it's a host-based packet filter!) introduces #trivial remote DoS as well as privilege escalation and local DoS. # # #At total, it seems that your system is hosed, crapped, insecure, #misconfigured and that you have absolutely no clue what you're doing. And #now you want to invest money to make it even worse?

Reply to
nailer

First you should fix your quoting.

Next would be flattening the system, it's hopelessly lost. Next... uhm... well, actually you don't need anything special. Configure the system correctly, shut down unnecessary services, use non-broken software, and never start harassing the system with pseudo security software again.

Reply to
Sebastian G.

I love lurking in this forum. You never learn anything at all from Sebastian G.; you learn that everything is a load of rubbish and everyone is an idiot, but he never tells you what that Godly expert would do instead. Probably because he hasn't got a clue what to do instead but just like the sound of his own loud voice (or the sight of his own typing). "You don't want to do this", "You don't want to do that". S.G. You're not related to Harry Enfield by any chance, are you?

Reply to
Wilf

Typical seppi answer. Instead of giving advice he disseminates his standard shit and feels good. How can a person end up like that?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Prelignat

LOL! He's so predictable I haven't even bothered to kill-file him.

Bud

Reply to
Bud

Yes but his second response was pretty much spot-on. Quote Next would be flattening the system, it's hopelessly lost. Next... uhm... well, actually you don't need anything special. Configure the system correctly, shut down unnecessary services, use non-broken software, and never start harassing the system with pseudo security software again. Unquote (Though not everybody is experienced enough to run without an AV application).

Reply to
Kayman

You're kidding, right? An AV application does absolutely nothing to secure the system. It merely solves as an intrusion detection system of pretty low quality. And I'd say it creates an illusion of security that makes the user act more risky.

Reply to
Sebastian G.

No, I wasn't. Read again! You're not suggesting that *everybody* is in fact is running without an AV application, are you?

I don't disagree at all - prevention is the key. Many users including myself however do not have the same know-how and pc configuration you have. Heck, it took me quite some time to harden my pc & what not and convince myself to do without PFW; My goal is to eventually go without AV and A-S applications, but I am just not ready as yet. So, calm down, come down from your high throne and try to be more helpful.

Reply to
Kayman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.