Jetico Personal Firewall freeware asks way to many questions

Name one web browser that uses scripts that is not vulnerable. The only one I know is firefox with the noscript add-on. That allows me to only allow websites that I trust to run scripts. But then I've seen you in here saying firefox is crap too so what browser do you use that is not vulnerable? And don't tell my Lynx, I said one that allows scripts to run.

Reply to
Troglodyte
Loading thread data ...

No it isn't. Firefox allows scripts to run by default. Any browser that allows scripts is not secure against malicious scripts. Only by using noscript add-on does it become secure.

Reply to
Troglodyte

Well, seeing as you are certain you know how to make a system secure without having to use anti virus scanners, spyware scanners, hosts file, script blockers, ad blockers etc. why don't you put up a website with instructions on how to do it and provide a real service to the community?

Reply to
Troglodyte

And this is what you propose the average user does? Home users use their computers for fun and not to pretend their computer is Fort Knox. Hello? Earth to Sebastian G.You are out of touch with reality. You sure you are not posting from within the local loony bin?

Reply to
Troglodyte

Browsers don't get patched until after the exploit has infected thousands of users PC's. That's how it works, or haven't you noticed?

formatting link
The measures that Sebastian proposes to secure a home computer are just unrealistic and he is out to lunch. Maybe you too.

Reply to
Troglodyte

Not really. And since you also weren't able to name one neither have you, it seems.

What makes you consider a company within the security industry a trustworthy source of information?

Securing a home computer isn't that hard. Securing the guy at the keyboard responsible for the vast majority of all his problems is the challenge.

Reply to
Straight Talk

Because, with respect to the demands of a normal home user, Windows is secure out of the box? And since anti virus scanners, spyware scanners, hosts file, script blockers, ad blockers etc. can't make a system secure, there's nothing to discuss at all.

Reply to
Sebastian G.

Mozilla/Firefox, Opera, Konqueror, w3m, ...

Well, if you want that, you wouldn't need NoScript either, since Firefox already has this capability (just doesn't expose it in the GUI). At any rate, the real benefit of NoScript is to potentially limit XSS when actually globally allowing scripts.

Mozilla Seamonkey

Reply to
Sebastian G.

So you're equating scripts with vulnerabilities? What a nonsense.

Bullshit. Without a vulnerability in the script engine itself JavaScript is perfectly secure. And such vulnerabilities are so rare, and even further some serious vendors liek Mozilla and the KDE Team have an excellent vulnerability patching policy.

It might be a really good thing if you inform yourself a bit about ECMAScript/JavaScript.

Reply to
Sebastian G.

Nothing? So far a recent Windows installation is secure out-of-the-box.

As an additional recommendation, a global no-exec policy is actually very feasible, since the demands of users typically only change rarely.

Reply to
Sebastian G.

Wrong. Browsers typically get patched before a full description of the vulnerability is released. Even for the extremely rare cases where that didn't hold typically a workaround existed, and even further a simple proactive configuration could have already addressed the problem.

| or adverts for web sites with infectious downloads or even infectious HTML | using the Active-X exploit for Microsoft Internet Explorer

That's MSIE, not a webbrowser. Of course when you're abusing MSIE as such, compromise is inherent - as documented and expected.

Reply to
Sebastian G.

never said otherwise...

just because it's unsuitable as a web browser doesn't mean it isn't one... just because it's implementation of this or that is broken doesn't mean it isn't a web browser...

it was designed to allow people to browse the web, it was marketed as a tool to allow people to browse the web, and it actually *does* allow people to browse the web... whether it does a good job or is well implemented doesn't change the fact that it's a web browser, it only affects it's *quality* as a web browser...

sorry, no... ie was born out of the mosaic web browser technology microsoft purchased/licensed in order to compete with netscape - it is most definitely a *web* browser...

windows explorer is a file browser, and while ie can *also* browse a file system, that doesn't change the fact that it is a web browser...

now you're putting words in my mouth - i never said the fact that people use it as a web browser was the reason it was a web browser... what i have implied, however, is that given the vast majority recognizes it as a web browser, your *reality* represents a redefinition of things...

Reply to
kurt wismer

BS

Reply to
John Adams

Might be a really good thing if you educate yourself on why scripts can be a very bad thing. Lots of malicious websites out there, boyo.

formatting link

Reply to
John Adams

IE can do that too but that's not the same as an add-on that allows one to allow scripts to run at urls they trust and not any others. Allowing scipts globally is just asking for trouble.

Reply to
John Adams

Hahaha...thanks for the laugh. Now pull the other leg.

Reply to
John Adams

Come, come, even noobs know that is not true.

Well, that wouldn't work for me or most other people I know as we are always installing new software and games etc.

Reply to
John Adams

What makes Seamonkey a safer browser than Firefox? I don't want a browser that is an all-in-one app anyway.

formatting link

powers such successful siblings as Firefox, Thunderbird, Camino, Sunbird and Miro. Legal backing is provided by the Mozilla Foundation.

Reply to
John Adams

Competent programmers who actually care for the users?

And the funny thing is that it's still less bloated than Firefox.

Reply to
Sebastian G.

"Sebastian G." wrote in news:5qjfduFvlpftU1 @mid.dfncis.de:

Do you intend to address my questions directed to you sir? Or continue to ignore them? It's painfully obvious you don't know wtf your talking about here and haven't for sometime, but I think I've been more than fair with you.

Reply to
Dustin Cook

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.