Jetico Personal Firewall freeware asks way to many questions

Is there an easy way to get Jetico Personal Firewall to only ask ONCE (like Zone Alarm or Sygate Personal Firewall does)?

For example, when I run CCleaner freeware, Jetico is welcome to ask if I want to run it but with the "remember" button set, Jetico should LEARN that I want CCleaner to run without asking me again. Yet every time CCleaner runs, Jetico asks me again (even with the Remember button selected).

Same thing with Firefox freeware, PeerGuardian freeware, Windows update, etc.

There MUST be a way to gell Jetico Personal Firewall to just Remember (really remember) the3 previous answer .. isn't there?

Reply to
Linda Sands
Loading thread data ...

Hm... why don't you simply uninstall it? Why did you even install it in first place?

Reply to
Sebastian G.

======================= Same problem; I uninstalled it.

Same problem with Comodo, too; I uninstalled it.

Zone Alarm and Sygate both have become really bloated, and think too long about things.

Currently using Netveda Safety Net, and am pleased with it. Only

8MB or so installed

Lord Possum

Reply to
Lord Possum

you should read the documentation and edit the default optimum protection security policy or you can just use another security policy like allow all but that sorta defeats the purpose of a personal firewall

Reply to
goarilla

Linda, sometime in the past I installed Jetico and tried it but I don't remember much about it. I went back to Sygate. Surely you could put rules in Jetico to Allow these applications that it keeps asking about---Just a thought. Hope you can get it fixed. Casey

Reply to
Casey

Is that particularly small for a Firewall? I'm not sure your description of Sygate being "really bloated", is entirely accurate. I'm not pushing or endorsing Sygate, but my installation is 12 megs. That's not that bloated IMO. If it, or any software package, does what it advertises, 4 megs doesn't make THAT much of a difference. I've tried most "endorsed" firewalls, but I always seem to "go back" to Sygate.

Al

Reply to
AlleyCat

AFAWK the purpose of a "personal firewall" is to f*ck up the network connection, which is obviously does.

Reply to
Sebastian G.

============================

One of the criteria I employ in judging a program's worth is not only the installed size, but the amount of Registry entries, and the number of functions requiring 'think' power ... a drain on RAM resources. Sygate is heavy than many in that respect.

And, as far as installed size ... 12MB compared to 8MB tells me immediately that Sygate is 50% bigger, while doing no more or any better than what I use. That apparently will not mean much to those who don't care how much room a program takes up, but the extra 4MB means more of something else for me. And, in the end result, NetVeda is faster.

Lord Possum

Reply to
Lord Possum

Linda Sands wrote in news:96sPi.1575$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr23.news.prodigy.net:

Look carefully, Jetico can generate multiple prompts for one action (for example there is a generic request for network access first, followed by the normal request that most firewalls will warn on). v1 freeware is IMHO one of the most complicated personal firewalls to use out there.

Anyway there's a interesting new development - Online Armor is releasing a free version including a capable firewall.

It is a slightly stripped down version of the full version,

"Just thought I would let you know that we changed our mind about making Online Armor v1.1 free.

Instead, we've decided to make a free version based on the v2 product instead

We're still running through a few infrastructure-related things and checking it out thoroughly - but if anyone would like to play, you can get it here...

formatting link
We have removed advanced mode firewall (standard mode remains); keylogger detection; webshield and mail shield.

This still has activation, and contains an embedded trial key - we're sorting that out over the next few days - and I will post again when the final version of OA Free is fully cooked."

formatting link
The lack of advanced firewalls means "you can set port rules up (or OA will do it automagically for you) but you cannot import blacklists on those ports, or restrict connections by country/network address."

The firewall however, is one of the most capable in the leak tests department. Of course there is already Comodo firewall, but for some reason or other, people who have problems with it might want to try Online Armor for the firewall.

Moreover OA is not just a firewall but includes HIPS (but so does the Comodo v3 but that's in beta). I personally find OA one of the more usable HIPS for ordinary users.

Reply to
Aaron

don't mind me

Reply to
Double Z

I've had this conversation with others in the past and found that, with the "right" equipment, 4megs of hard drive space and 2 or 3 megs of RAM is not very much. I'm running a 2.8GHz Pentium D with 2 Gigs of RAM. I know not everyone has these resources, but I believe most people frequenting this newsgroup looking for software, are probably people that are pretty computer savvy and do have newer hardware which will run most any of the software being discussed about here. It seems apropos that someone here could come up with a list of software with attributes pertaining to RAM and hard drive space usage. I'm sure there's a website that does this, but I'm not familiar with one.

Al

Reply to
AlleyCat

Aaron wrote in news:Xns99C8A3502A20Faaronnewsgroup@85.214.62.108:

OA also gets an excellent rating from Matousec. Let's see what the free version gets. ZA Pro has a very good rating while ZA free has a very poor rating. The latest version of ZA Pro uses about 80 mg ram!

Reply to
hmmm

HIPS is nonsense, and even HIDS is for anyone but ordinary users. At any rate, the horribly broken and unsuable software products you're discussing only include signature-based engines, which is quite useless.

Hm... isn't that rather a bad thing?

WTF? I knew this software was totally bad, but THAT bad...

Reply to
Sebastian G.

snipped-for-privacy@hmmm.org wrote in news:drudnUukU_LQeInanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

The same.

Reply to
Aaron

What version of sygate are you referring too. 5.5.2710 is not bloated in my opinion.

Reply to
Gary

It just has serious design flaws and won't receive any bugfixes anymore. Some qualification for a "security" product.

cu

59cobalt
Reply to
Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers after much thought,came up with this jewel in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.in-ulm.de:

Software "firewall" is not a real firewall and a waste of resources. A router/harding your system/safe-hex is the way to go. max

Reply to
Max M.Wachtel III

Sygate is bloated by design.

Reply to
Sebastian G.

Right start, wrong conclusion. Just because it isn't a firewall doesn't mean that it's not a security concept or can't be part of it. Indeed it is a host-based packet filter, and, if used correctly (which already excludes all the common "personal firewall" stuff) and not being too broken (again this excludes all the common nonsense) can achieve a certain gain of security.

The common SOHO router stuff is neither a firewall nor is it suitable to implement a routing firewall.

Reply to
Sebastian G.

Can you suggest alternative software other than the common "personal firewall" stuff that will achieve a certain gain of security (on a Windows OS) ? Tnx.

Reply to
s|b

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.