Is NOD32 considered a resource hog?

I bought NOD32 and ever since my computer runs slow, much slower. I have a Pentium 4, 2.1 gig processor with 1024 megs of ram. I know that is not much by today's standards, but when I was using free AVG, it was not this slow. Opening Windows task manager shows NOD32 using

46,212 k. It also says I have 45 processes running. Is that considered a lot? With the exception of what is running in the taskbar, only Agent is being used by me at this time.

Mary

Reply to
Queen Mary
Loading thread data ...

No proble here with NOD32; next best to Kaspersky for low resource use. Refer to:

formatting link

Reply to
Scott

Stupid me, I just remembered a few minutes ago that all of this usage started happening when I installed a new screensaver that looks out the window of an airplane and everything is constantly moving as if you are really looking out of it. I uninstalled it and just will not use a screensaver. Are they really necessary?

Mary

Reply to
Queen Mary

For an LCD?

Absolutely not.

Reply to
Notan

In message at 22:40:01 on Tue, 24 Jul 2007, Queen Mary wrote

Sounds likes it's not a screensaver if it runs while you're working?

Reply to
Mike

It must have been. It wasn't running while I was on, but I have a meter that shows the available ram at all times and after the screensaver had been on for a while, the ram went down significantly. When I would move the mouse, everything would work, but very slowly. The ram meter afterwards usually showed around 400 available megs (out of 1024) and since I uninstalled it and now do not use a SS, the ram is showing near 600 at all times. Also, when I hit Control, alt, delete, it says I have 45 processes running. That seems like an awful lot to me.

Mary

Reply to
Queen Mary

I assume that you are running Windows XP. A "clean" XP runs in about

100MB with around 20 processes. To me, 45 processes is not that very much, but 600MB memory usage seems to be fairly high, since you have "only" 1GB physical RAM. On my machine, right now, I have 83 processes with about 660MB memory usage, but this is quite a "loaded" machine, and it has 2GB of physical RAM.

So you might want to search for other "memory hogs", but you probably should ask this question in a Windows XP newsgroup, such as microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain

HTH Matthias Kläy

Reply to
Matthias Klaey

Thanks for letting me know about that NG!

Mary

Reply to
Queen Mary

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.