Is IPcop a good replacement for VPN routers like D-Link?

I've been struggling with D-Link ADSL routers (with VPN functionality) on many occasions and while they are great as a basic firewall, have massive problems with setting up VPNs. Setting up a VPN between two D-Link routers is okay, but then anything else is just too much hard work. I've been wondering if I should be using IPcop instead. Does this handle multiple VPN's from XP machines (remote workers) okay? This is something the D-Links don't without their VPN software client and then I've not been able to get it to work!

Also, are there any IPcop experts out there in SE England who could give me hands-on training on how to setup and use IPcop? I'd rather pay someone for a day than waste days of my own time learning something new!

Reply to
matt
Loading thread data ...

While i tend to agree with that opinion sometimes the admin screens and docs in retail products can be really crappy, and some things in Open Source systems can be really slick. The Usenet and forum support for oss tools can be much better than the vendor's forums.

It you have two PCs to spare give ipcop a try. Also look at m0n0

formatting link

I've never done VPNs in either of them but there's no cost to try them.

Reply to
Al Dykes

If you can't setup and maintain a IPSec tunnel between two simple devices like the D-Link units (appliance to appliance), you're not going to do any better with something that take a LOT more setup work.

Reply to
Leythos

I've seen them and done it many times, and if one can't do a google search or read the vendors docs and get it right, IPCop it's going to be any easier.

Reply to
Leythos

If you have problems whith an router I think you gonna get a litle bit of a tuff time with the Ip-Cop to. But here is some links that I think you should read first.

formatting link
formatting link
formatting link
Anders

Reply to
anders

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.