Is Comodo the best FREE firwall?

Is Comodo consider the best or a good firewall and how does it compare to ZoneAlarm? I don't know much about all of this and maybe there is something even better that I am unaware of. If there and if so, which is it and why is it better, please?

Thank you in advance for your help. Crystal

Reply to
Miss Crystal Light
Loading thread data ...

Crosspost, do not multipost

formatting link

Reply to
Kayman

On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 14:15:21 -0400,when reading "comp.security.firewalls", I'm certain I caught a glimpse of "Miss Crystal Light " saying:

After reading your previous posts I understand you are using DSL and if so you are protected from incoming threats by way of your router.

I've tried Comodo but uninstalled it because I thought it to be over kill due to my own setup.

ZoneAlarm is trash and I wouldn't recommend that anyone use it.

I use the last free version of Kerio dated back to 2002/2003

Reply to
Erik Vastmasd

So, now you feel safe with an (so-called) security application dated back to 2002/2003?

Any 3rd party software personal firewall application (PFW) which claims: "It can stop/control malicious outbound traffic" is Phony-Baloney ware (Trash)!

Reply to
Kayman

Good luck using outdated, unsupported "security" solutions.

Reply to
Root Kit

No. Because Comodo is not a firewall and there is no such thing as a

*good* so called personal firewall - at least not if security is your concern. There may be other considerations that could justify installing something like that - but security wouldn't be one of them.
Reply to
Root Kit

Friends, here are the thing I have and use. Please look it over and give me your thoughts on if I am protecting myself sufficient or should changes be made?

Maybe I already have what I should need. Here is what I have:

D-Link DI-524

formatting link
NOD 32 Anti-virus

Webroot's Spy Sweeper

Every Saturday or so, I run the following programs:

Cleanup CCleaner Evidence Eliminator Spybot Ad-aware

Am I covered pretty much? I do a lot of online banking and I am always afraid of being hacked.

I do not know anything about the router except I do not use it in wireless mode. The cable from my cable HS provider goes into the router and then into the cable modem and then into the computer, all connected by cables.

Is there anything else I should be doing and considering the above, should I go ahead and turn the XP firewall on? It might already be.

Thanks for your help, Crystal

Reply to
Miss Crystal Light

On Wed, 1 Oct 2008 17:31:45 +0700,when reading "comp.security.firewalls", I'm certain I caught a glimpse of "Kayman " saying:

Yes I have always felt safe with Kerio.

What do you use?

Reply to
Erik Vastmasd

On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 10:49:11 GMT,when reading "comp.security.firewalls", I'm certain I caught a glimpse of "Root Kit " saying:

What do you use?

Reply to
Erik Vastmasd

WinXP built in firewall together with Seconfig XP

formatting link
I Practise Safe-Hex and day-day work is performed in LUA.

Reply to
Kayman

On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 00:45:32 -0400,when reading "comp.security.firewalls", I'm certain I caught a glimpse of "Miss Crystal Light " saying:

I use NOD 32 Anti-virus too.

I only run Ad-aware & Spybot daily.

That could depend on what browser you use and whether you allow web sites to save cookies.

Have you actually disconnected the wireless antenna from your router?

I often visit the web site "ShieldsUp":

If anyone visits "ShieldsUp" have a read of the web page and if satisfied press "Proceed"

Don't turn on the XP firewall it only protects against incoming alerts which are already attended to by your router.

Reply to
Erik Vastmasd

Good. Make sure the wireless function is turned off if you are not using it. Also turn off UPnP (if the router has such an option) unless you really need it and know why you need it (Google it).

Good. I don't have a virus scanner on my own PC, however I do have one on the PC that the kids use. Run a full system scan occasionally.

Mostly a waste of time. I'd have to admit to running Spybot S&D occasionally but that's mostly because it provides an easy way to remove unwanted start up items and to check what ActiveX and BHOs are present.

Don't use Internet Explorer. Use Firefox 3.0.3 or later or another browser. Configure the browser to clear private data when you close it, if you wish.

The XP firewall should be turned ON. Anyone who tells you to turn it off is giving very bad advice. It does not matter whether you have a router or not. It is not necessary to install other firewall software on your computer.

Consider using open DNS (Google it) and set it up to block content that you are not interested in. The best way to deal with malware is not to get it at all.

Sites such as Gibson's shields up are mostly a waste of time for the average user.

Set up your computer to use a limited user account for everyday work. Only log in as administrator when you have to (such as to install new software).

You should be using XP service pack 3. Go to Windows Update and make sure all critical updates are installed.

Be in a position to restore the computer to a clean state if it does get compromised by malware or if the hard drive fails.

formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
Network Admin

I am using FireFox, the latest version. Should I allow cookies to be saved? Some sites will not open unless I do so. Your thoughts, please?

Yes, a long time ago.

I will visit that site too.

Thanks, Crystal

Reply to
Miss Crystal Light

i used comodo cos i was warned off Zonealarm for vista. vist fw does not protect outgoing traffic and allows your pc to phone home to Seattle everytime you log on - hate that - but comodo stops it and also automatic updates from M$

- remember how bad they were in the early dayes of xp

has anyone used

formatting link
vista firewall controller.

it offfers a way to reconfigure vista fw so that it does inspect outgoing packets. its a free dl and people seem to like it

Reply to
123robint

a) AFAIK Microsoft added outbound control functions to the Windows- Firewall in Vista (due to popular demand). b) I have yet to see a single so-called "phone-home" in Windows that cannot be deactivated by proper configuration. c) If the vendor of an operating system really wants his operating system to phone home, then there is no way at all a software running *on* *top* of this operating system could prevent that. Read "Reflections on Trusting Trust" [1] to understand why that is.

[1]
formatting link
cu 59cobalt
Reply to
Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

You are not going to find anything better than the Vista FW and Vista in itself due to the advanced features the FW and Vista are using.

PFW Criticism.

formatting link
Jesper's Blogs- At Least This Snake Oil Is Free.
formatting link
Firewall: the best new security feature in Vista?
formatting link
Exploring The Windows Firewall.
formatting link
"If you try to block outbound connections from a computer that?s already compromised, how can you be sure that the computer is really doing what you ask? The answer: you can?t. Outbound protection is security theater?it?s a gimmick that only gives the impression of improving your security without doing anything that actually does improve your security. This is why outbound protection didn?t exist in the Windows XP firewall and why it doesn?t exist in the Windows Vista? firewall."

Managing the Windows Vista Firewall

formatting link
*(read twice!)*

Reply to
Kayman

hi all

thanx for your input, the plot thickens, or was it always that way

I have severasl machines, and my main work machione, a trusty XPsp3 old beast with a lot of precious applications (i keep my data on external usb drives

i have this protected by avg antivirus v 8 and Zonealarm

now these have done sterling service over the years and I found the best way to stop outgoing traffic is never to connect to the inet - stoopid but it works for me.

now I had recourse to clean out my machine and reinstal the apps and XP afresh. I was amazed how often various apps including of course M$ wanted to access outside ofr "updates" even though ive turned this feature off

its very disturbing when you see what activity is attempted and you woyuldnt know about it.

over the last 7 years ive only had serious viral attacks due to my own clumbsiness in not checking apps. I have since got a simple workhorse to try out new stuff before letting it near my main machine. I also have a separate simple old xp machine whose sole purpose is to communicate with the web

i xfer what data i need via a usb thumbdrive, its crude but i sleep easy

its not an option for a real office but at least i can manage my environment as im only a soho and actually want to do some work, not spend time fooling around with M$

Now I have a new spiffy Toshiba laptop with the obligatory Vista home premium installed. A whole new ball of wax, cos i actually need to communciate on the road, so hence my interest in commodo

it seems to block a lot of outgoing requests, especially from M$

Reply to
123robint

You really should stick to your original thread and do some reading!

Reply to
Kayman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.