Installing a firewall on home network

I need to install a firewall on my grandmother's computer which is networked. Is there anything special I might need to do since the computer is networked? I figure I'll have to allow the IP addresses of the network (or whatever). I know nothing about networks.

I haven't decided on a firewall for her. I'm thinking about Outpost free firewall or Kerio/Sunbelt free firewall. I'm not sure if this will be installed on the main computer or one of the other ones.

I read somewhere that the Outpost free firewall isn't suitable for a networked computer. Is that true? Is there a free firewall that will work on a networked computer?

Reply to
Mike S.
Loading thread data ...

If her computer is "Networked", does that mean that she's behind a NAT router of some type? If so, then the Windows firewall is all that she needs for a firewall. None of the firewalls you install, where she can manage it, will save her from herself.

Enable Windows firewall, remove exceptions in Windows Firewall. Disable File/Printer sharing. Change her account to a LIMITED account (make sure there is still an Administrator level account), install and ensure that a quality AV software is installed, install FireFox and Thunderbird and don't let her use IE/Outlook Express.....

Reply to
Leythos

She uses a wireless router. I don't know if it's secure or not, I didn't set it up. Her computer is the main computer. I don't know if she wants me to install the firewall to the main computer or another one (there's three desktop computers and one laptop). I'm fairly certain the Windows Firewall is disabled by AOL. At least once a year for the past few years she's had problems with spyware and viruses. She's been using Norton Internet Security but has decided to get rid of it as it slows the computer down. That's why she needs to find another software firewall.

Reply to
Mike S.

Then you should make sure that WPA is enabled, that it has a strong key, that it's not setup with the default password for the admin page, that it's not using the default subnet....

What does that mean - that computer acting as the file repository for the other computers?

AOL does insert a BUNCH of holes in it, but it does ot disable it, unless the user does it.

So, does she use the "main" computer to store files for the other computers or are they all stand-alone computers?

The wireless router already blocks inbound unsolicited connections to her computers, so you only have to worry about what you connect to, or what your computer connects to that you don't know about.

Most NAT devices have logging ability - many work with WallWatcher logging utility - look for it, Linksys units work very nicely with it - it will show all traffic types in/out of the router.

Reply to
Leythos

Then don't try implementing a firewall or any other network-related security concept. You can only fail, if not making it worse.

It seems like you're not actually thinking in that context. Those aren't firewalls and neither security products.

Reply to
Sebastian G.

I'm fairly

I believe you have to manually disable it in Control Panel / Security Center. AOL'S Security Center suggests that action upon recognizing Windows Firewall is also on.

Reply to
Neil

sFirewall is also on.

I'd like to know if it's better to disable AOL's Firewall and use Windows Firewall.

Reply to
Neil

WindowsFirewall is also on.

As long as you don't completely remove this AOL crap, it won't make any difference.

Reply to
Sebastian G.

dowsFirewall is also on.

I agree that AOL is best avoided, and we will be moving away from it. Just want to know for now if you recommend disabling AOL's Firewall and enabling Windows Firewall, rather than the other way around. Both say not to be running more than one Firewall. Thanks.

Reply to
Neil

The problem is that you simply cannot disable the AOL firewall. Even when it's "disabled", the packet filtering driver will still interfere with the traffic, randomly break network functionality and opening security holes.

Reply to
Sebastian G.
03 December 2007 23:13 Sebastian G. broadcast thus:

That's awful programming. I've got a friend who has a PC where AOL was (at least partially) installed. He's not using AOL thank god but the box is awfully slow, even for a Windows machine... let me guess, uninstalling AOL leaves behind the packet filter driver? People should be taken out at dawn and shot for writing malware like this :).

Reply to
Jamin Davis

Just like almost any other "personal firewall" crap.

Or it modified some TCP/IP performance options. Not much better either.

Why? The irony in the claims of what the software is supposed to achieve couldn't be any more obvious.

Reply to
Sebastian G.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.