Huge security hole in Kerio 2.1.5

I've just been told that Kerio 2.1.5, which was considered to be the (or one of the) best choice, doesn't "see" (and doesn't intercept...) fragmented packets, and thus wouldn't be efficient toward an attack based on fragmented packets (see below)

In these conditions, which FW can be suggested, which would be simultaneously

- free

- parameterizable

- controlling both IN and OUT (thus, not Win WP FW...)

- efficient (thus, not kerio 2.1.5...)

Thanks for advice

About Kerio issue, this is the very simple test I've been suggested to do... and whose result is a little bit frightening :

- Create a Kerio rule denying all Input ICMP (anwsers to ping request), and put this rule in 1st position

- ping whoever_you_want : no answer. OK.

- ping -l 5000 whoever_you_want : damned, you get answer ! (-l parameter, setting a packet size above MTU obliged ping to fragment)

Even more serious : don't even add any rule, but with systray icon, have the choice "Stop traffic" (or something like that, my own Kerio is in french, and I don't know the exact label in english) Even in this case, "simple" ping doesn't work, but "fragmented" ping does...

Reply to
Laurent
Loading thread data ...

Many Kerio users don't seem to care. Kerio doesn't care. Use something else seems the best advise.

HiS

Reply to
Hassan I Sahba

Hassan I Sahba a écrit le 06/03/2005 :

Yes, but *what* else was my question...

Reply to
Laurent

Try Jetico PF as mentioned earlier today..

formatting link

It's very good... better than Kerio...

Reply to
Kerodo

I see from their website that there's a new version out:

} v. 1.0.1.56 Freeware, 14th March, 2005. } Log entries of the firewall now report detail on fragmented IP } packets. Firewall system tray icon behaviour corrected, problem } of incompatibility with games from Valve software fixed.

In the past you have mentioned that the user interface is somewhat idiosyncratic. Has it got any better?

Reply to
Philip K

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.