How to get new IP address

It is not at all a firewall question, but I thought that the learned members of this group might give some ideas.

There are sites which restricts downloads to me on the basis of my IP address. If I try to download something more, they ask me to wait for one or two hours.

It is obvious that they have stored my current IP address somewhere.

So, what do I do? I switch my ADSL modem off and switch it on after 5 secs (told by my support guy). That gets me a new IP Address allotted, and I can download from the same site with this ip address.

----------

The question is: Is there any software method that I can use to reset my ADSL modem. I mean, can I click a few things on my pc, and my connection gets a new IP address without me having to physically switch the modem off/on?

thanks.

Reply to
V S Rawat
Loading thread data ...

Depending on whether your old IP was already reassigned. I'm in a SDSL network which is commonly used with flatrate and no forced disconnection, so you'll get the very same address for at least one day.

Can be actually quite fun. I had one guy getting a complaint from DynDNS that he didn't renew his IP address for 6 month. Guess what? It was most recent. ;-)

Ehm, yes and no.

No: You can't reset your modem. Yes: You don't need to reset your modem, disconnecting and redialing after a while is sufficient. This is a standard procedure, but you can also do your own PPPoE commanding.

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

The modem is the device that gets the IP from your ISP. So you do what you did to force a new IP or you call the ISP and have them force a new IP.

That's about it. I myself know of no other way through the O/S that you can issue a command to make the modem get a new IP from the ISP.

I had a similar type of problem with access through my FW appliance where none of the machines could access some sites due to the IP being used from the ISP. I got a new IP from the BB ISP and problem solved.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Sebastian wrote on Fri, 24 Mar 2006 12:38:54 +0100:

This is why most DynDNS client software and routers that support DynDNS will send an update every 30 days if the IP hasn't changed - saves DynDNS from suspending/deleting your host :)

Dan

Reply to
Spack

Just switch off and then switch on the MODEm .

But you have to look that your modem ISP port is getting new IP adresses from ISP.

As the website only blocks IP addresses for scheduled time.

Thanks CK-NET

Reply to
NETADMIN

Leave it off for a day or two, then switch it back on. You will almost certainly get a new IP after that lengh of time. Someone else will have picked up your old one :)

-Frank

Reply to
Frankster

Well in my case i have switched off the modem/router for 1 week and still when i restarted the router still had the same ip address.

And before you ask yes iam a dynamic ip address contract cleint :-)

Reply to
Νίκος

Don't pay the bill for 30 days after it's been cutoff and you'll get a new IP.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Yeap, i think they will assign me the 0.0.0.0 ip address :-)

Reply to
Νίκος

It will be either 0.0.0.0 or 169.xxx.xxx.xxx I am not sure about the 169 IP. But after you pay the bill, you'll get an IP from the ISP a new one.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Indeed!

So an answer to all folks wondering hwo to change their ip address the safest and most surely way one can get a new ip address is being implemented in 2 steps.

a) Dont pay the bill for 30 days hence the provider will stop your internat connection. b) After this, Pay the bill you owe and then you ll have a new ip address without doubt!

Or after step a you can always change providers so then you have a brend new ip address with more octets having been changed ;-)

That way most people wont relate your new address with the old one and we will achieve greatest spoofeness...lol :-)

Reply to
Νίκος

Reply to
Duane Arnold

ummm .. ?!?

Reply to
Νίκος

Reply to
Duane Arnold

hehe like :> with text that is

Nikos :)

Reply to
Νίκος

I decided to ask my ISP.

The support guy understood my problem and told me to start browser and give http://192.168.1.1 which is probably my LAN's or gateway's something.

It started some program which had the control of my modem.

And i also came to know that it is not just a modem, but an entire DSL router, whatever that is.

It has the following settings:

Device Info DSL Status WAN LAN Password DSL Settings Reboot

And the reboot is the thing that does what I wanted. It disconnects the previous connection and gets a new ip address in my modem/ router. Taking some 30-40 secs.

When I had gone broadband, then the isp's support guys had come and installed all this. Then, I could not understand what they were doing.

thannks.

Reply to
V S Rawat

Usually it has a normal "disconnect/connect" button in the Statues menu. No need to reboot.

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

I am clicking any icon to connect to net.

When I switch my modem on, it automatically connects. When I switch my pc on, it already finds itself connected.

Support guys said that above method is better with LAN. They said that disconnections etc are less in the above, and connect/disconnect is needed in usb.

Reply to
V S Rawat

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.