How essential is an additional firewall?

I am using the firewall that comes with XP. However, recently I downloaded the free version of Zone Alarm. Is ZA really necessary and if so, how is it compared to other ones you might suggest in place of it.

Thanks, Mark

Reply to
FERRANTE
Loading thread data ...

I caught a glimpse of FERRANTE on Wed, 16 Jun 2010 00:09:19 -0500, writing in comp.security.firewalls:

I think a decent firewall & anti virus program is important. If you are still using Zone Alarm you shouldn't run the XP firewall.

In the morning before my shower and breakfast, I update the following free programs and have them scan my computers.

Ad-Aware. Spybot. Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.

Also I get the free SpywareBlaster to check for updates.

I'm currently running Sunbelt software which I'm happy with.

formatting link
Another excellent product is:
formatting link

Reply to
Erik Vastmasd

No.

It's on the system anyway, it focuses on what a firewall can do reliably, and it's had far less bugs in the past than ZA and the likes.

cu

59cobalt
Reply to
Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

"Erik Vastmasd" escribió en el mensaje news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net...

Read and choose...

1. Antivirus software
    formatting link
    Firewall
    formatting link
    Saludos,

-- Sr Peabody

Reply to
Sr Peabody

If you have a NAT router and Windows Firewall, if you don't run as a local administrator, you don't need a third party firewall application.

Reply to
Leythos

I am using a D-Link DI-524 router (wired, no wireless turned on as far as I know) and the windows firewall. So, I should just go ahead and uninstall the ZA?

This may sound stupid, but how can I tell if I am running as the local administrator? And if I am, what should I do to fix things to ensure the most security on my computer please?

Thanks in advance to EVERYONE for your help, Mark

Reply to
FERRANTE

I sit behind a real firewall, not a router pretending to be a firewall (like most of those from D-Link, Linksys, NetGear), and don't use any third party firewall applications - when I travel I just make sure that the computers are fully patched, don't have file/printer sharing enabled, that all exceptions are removed from the windows firewall settings, etc...

In the control panel, open Administrator Tools, select EVENT VIEWER, if you can open the SECURITY Section then you're an admin, if it is denied access then you're a limited user.

Also, if you installed/setup Windows and you didn't create a limited account, the first account is always an Administrator level account, and you need to make sure you keep at least one Admin account, you create an additional one to use for normal functions.

Reply to
Leythos

Open a command prompt and run "net user". If "Administrators" is listed under local group memberships, you're a local administrator.

cu

59cobalt
Reply to

Open a command prompt and run "net user %USERNAME%". If "Administrators" is listed under local group memberships, you're a local administrator.

cu

59cobalt
Reply to

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.