How did netgear do that?

If you want something that's tivial to set up, and very well done, take a look GoToMyPC.com. It's a service and costs a few bucks each month.

Reply to
Al Dykes
Loading thread data ...

Hi everyone

I don't know if this is the correct forum - if not, apologies.

I have a netgear router and had to speak with their technical desk a few days ago. He asked me to go into the setup and allow him to access the router remotely. I gave him the IP address and changed the settings that he requested (including setting a specific port for him to connect to) and off he went!

I'm intrigued to know how he did that - I was so dumbfounded that I didn't even think to ask him there and then. Is it as simple as typing in the IE address bar? The reason that I ask is that I'm interested in accessing one of my laptops from another across the internet. I can get both IP addresses and open specific ports to allow communication and I can also set the firewalls to allow incoming requests from the other laptop. I'd add that the laptops are both on ADSL and with access via different ISPs. I know that Remote Desktop isn't available (because they're not XP) and I'm not keen to download and install specific software, unless absolutely necessary.

Thanks for your time and patience.

Reply to
Tosca

Yes if the router has an http server to allow configuration.

What you need there is known as VPN.

formatting link
Jason

Reply to
Jason Edwards

Well, you're going to have to use something like PCanywhere, Tight VNC (free) or some other RDS application that will allow the access and control of the remote machine. I don't think you're going to come around not having some kind of RDS application running on the machines.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Thank you for the rapid response - I'll look into VPN. I see that there was also a response from Duane Arnold but, when I tried to read it, it said that the message was no longer available on the server - what's happening? Where's it gone? I need all the help that's possible as a novice in this field!

Reply to
Tosca

If you want remote access to the PC in such a way as it's the same as sitting at it then you need some kind of remote desktop application. The examples given by Duane were

formatting link
formatting link
Jason

Reply to
Jason Edwards

Thank you Jason.

By the way, I ran a search for Duane Arnold at

formatting link
and I think I know why the post was deleted.

Reply to
Tosca

Do fill me in I like to know, since you made a point here.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

I guess if one had a situation where one couldn't use software like PCAnywhare, MS Netmeeting RDS, Tight VNC, etc, etc because ports those applications use are being blocked, then I would look at GoToMyPC using port 80. I couldn't fathom paying for such a service just like I couldn't fathom paying $199 for PCAnywhere. ;-) I got to find something that will do a full screen on a 19 inch LCD monitor and cover the entire screen. Tight VNC is like a postage stamp on the screen. I got PCAnywhare ver 10 from a friend and I'll see what it does. I may try to get Netmeeting to run on XP and see what it does with the screen.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Thank you for the further suggestions. It looks like I have a lot of homework over the next few days!

Reply to
Tosca

You are welcome and make sure you use a strong password when doing RDS with in a VPN connection.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.