Help with understanding log entry

Hello Group, I have a Linksys router and a Windows XP SP3 computer. My software firewall is Deerfield Visnetic. Lately I notice log entries when I boot up (and continuing) which seem to suggest that the router is trying to send the computer a UDP packet.

Log: Blocked incoming UDP packet from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.xxx source port varies anywhere from 9555 to 9599 destination port is 162

What does this mean? Should I write a rule to permit it?

Many thanks for any clarification.

Jack

Reply to
JClark
Loading thread data ...

If everything is working, why allow it. :(

Check bottom of page at

formatting link

Reply to
Bit Twister

happening and hoped I could learn something.

Jack

Reply to
JClark

out. And thanks.

Jack

Reply to
JClark

First off, how can you just "write a rule to permit it" if you do not understand what it is? Your router is sending SNMP traps. Go to its setup and disable it. If you plan on using SNMP monitoring, then configure a specific IP address, not the entire subnet.

--- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: snipped-for-privacy@netfront.net ---

Reply to
iggster

Linksys has lots of models. Not a clue which one the OP happens to use.

You sure the traffic isn't due to UPnP discovery by the router? The OP should see if the traffic stops if UPnP is disabled in the router's configuration.

formatting link

Another user spamming in a non-signature on behalf of their NSP.

Reply to
VanguardLH

You are correct. I over-estimated the capabilities of Linksys. It most likely IS the discovery bcast.

--- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: snipped-for-privacy@netfront.net ---

Reply to
iggster

They are appending their promotional (spam) text onto your posts. That spam isn not in a signature (there is no sigdash line). That means all of your posts through them are spam. You have elected to be their spamming affiliate.

Reply to
VanguardLH

This is the news server I use. _One_ line at the end of my posting is not really offensive, now is it really? I "have elected" to use one of not so many free news servers. Why this is such a big deal to you that you "have elected" to waste my time and yours on this discussion that has nothing to do with the OP? Casual flaming is very easy but most times it is just a meaningless, well, flaming. Regards,

Reply to
iggster

Because unsolicited advertisements, like those your news provider appends to each of your postings, are commonly known as "spam". Which is frowned upon in most any part of Internet and Usenet I had to do with.

Of course the decision whether you want to support spam is entirely up to you.

Score adjusted. F'up2p.

cu

59cobalt
Reply to
Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

Thank you. That does help to explain it. I must now research the details of the subject you have introduced me to.

Jack

Reply to
JClark

Sorry. It's a BSFX41.

Jack

Reply to
JClark

You sure?

I went to

formatting link
(to see if they have an online copy of the manual) and a search on "BSFX41" found no matches.

The manual should describe how to configure the router's behaviors. They list even my ancient BEFSR41 router there. Of course, if you have the manual you could read it to see if the UPnP option is described. You could just connect to the router's web server (perhaps at http://192.168.1.1) to go look through its configuration screens to see if there is a UPnP option. If you find one, disable it to see if the mysterious traffic ceases.

Reply to
VanguardLH

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.