Help with restricting access to VPN WRT54G

Hi

I have been tasked with configuring the following:

Allowing a Laptop to connect (via wireless or fixed lan port on a Linksys WRT54g Router) via VPN to a company network..

The laptop must ONLY be able to access internet once connected to the company VPN (and thus pickup the VPN DNS/IP etc) - ie if the PC is connected to the router (and the router is connected to ADSL/Cable) - the laptop shouldnt be able to connect to the outside world OTHER than VPN

If ANY other PC's/Devices are using the Linksys router, no traffic must be able to pass through to the PC that is making/made the connection to the VPN

ANY other devices on the network (connected via this router) must not be able to connect to the Laptop (ie via shares/UNC etc)

I hope this can be done, or if not all, some of it!

Im thinking a fixed IP for the laptop and then some kind of restriction to only allow VPN traffic??

Amy help/pointers would be welcome

Reply to
privatepiles
Loading thread data ...

It's not the router that will be doing it. What VPN client will you be using on the laptop? Any modern day VPN client (Nortel, Cisco, etc) enforce policy. So, when the laptop connects to the corporate network using the VPN client the laptop is now restricted to only accessing things on the VPN.

When you make a VPN you are creating a tunnel - a private network (if you will.)

It sounds as if you need to get a fundamental understanding of how VPNs work.

Once your laptop is tunneled into your corporate network the VPN termination point inside the corporate network can enforce policy on the clients that connect to it. I.e., do not allow split-tunneling, etc.

When the laptop starts the client and connects it is no longer (logically) on the local network. You can test this yourself when you start the client and connect to your company. Ping your local PC's, etc that are on your Linksys router - you will not be able to and neither will those clients.

Reply to
AMR

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.