Help.....................with hardening a Win 2000 gateway server

I am thinking either Sygate or ZAP. Tell me what your opinions are. Also, can you tell me the list of ports to close and anyother tid bits to really secure a gateway box. Thanx.

Reply to
bitstream
Loading thread data ...

Dooooood... thanx a kazillion. Excellent stuff!

Reply to
bitstream

bitstream wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

There you go.

formatting link

1) If you're like the rest, then you cannot implement it all. 2) Don't use a PFW solution on a NT based O/S with the machine as a getway. 3) Take note about the NAT router part. 4) Use a $20 NAT router as the gatway for the LAN and WAN to protect the O/S and services on the machines and avoid doing a direct connect to the Internet.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Actually, I have a Netgear router as my border device and I have a

3COM 3900 switch attached to the router. I'd like to put the Win2K server in between the router and the 3COM switch for network traffic monitoring. I'll install Sygate on the Win2K server for IP blocking.
Reply to
bitstream

There are some really good articles on Microsofts site about hardening a Windows 2000 server for a machine that has a public IP, but, you're not going to be able to use it for any other purpose (other than a hardened box as a firewall running a quality firewall solution).

What you really should be doing, provided that your network can handle port forwarding/NAT, is install a border device on the public IP and put your machines behind the border device.

So, you would have something like this:

PUBLIC INTERNET || BORDER DEVICE || Server Device, NIC 1 || Server running firewall/proxy/etc || Server Device, NIC 2 || LAN DEVICE (Switch) || All your computers

You could also bypass the server as the firewall and do the following:

PUBLIC INTERNET || BORDER DEVICE (NAT device or Firewall Appliance) || LAN DEVICE (Switch) || All your computers

Reply to
Leythos

bitstream wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Well do it right and dump Sygate.

formatting link
One doen't use a PFW solution trying to secure a server.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Oh, if you have the right Netgear router, then you could use this.

formatting link

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.