Help Me Open Port 81!

Hi.

Win Server 2003 Dlink 604

In Dlink I see 80 for domain1.com and 81 next to domain2.net under the virtual server.

In Dlink under filters I see:

port 80: * TCP 80 always port 81: * TCP 81 always

But SheildsUp tells me that I have all my ports as stealth (including

80) and tells me that 80 is closed.

I am trying to port forward:

domain1:80 domain2:81

I can get to domain1 but not domain2. I am guessing the fact that sheilds up is telling me is closed is the problem but I can't seem to figure out how to open it.

Both domains share a ISP assigned public IP and are

192.168.0.5 and 192.168.0.6

on the LAN.

Thanks for your help!

Reply to
pbd22
Loading thread data ...

So what?

Why is this a problem?

Well, how do you know that the forwarding doesn't work? So far you have presented nothing that would indicate so.

Reply to
Sebastian G.

Well, your response was about as useful as, it seems, my question. If I am missing information that could help you (politely) troubleshoot my problem, it would be useful to know "what" that information is.

Update -

When I designate domain1.com as port 80 and when I designate domain2.net as port 81

I get the domain1.com web site when I type in either domain1.com and domain2.net. When I designate domain2.net as port 80, both the .net and .com requests forward to domain2.net.

Any suggestions as to what I am doing or what additional information I should be providing?

Thanks.

Reply to
pbd22

I'll go out on a limb and assume the following:

- Your router is assigned a public IP address by your provider.

- Both domain1.com and domain2.net resolve to the public address assigned to your router.

- Somewhere behind your router are two servers with private IP addresses (192.168.0.5 and 192.168.0.6).

- Both servers run a web server instance, one hosting domain1.com, the other hosting domain2.net.

- The servers are not running any kind of personal firewall.

- Your router is configured to forward port 80/tcp to 192.168.0.5:80 and port 81/tcp to 192.168.0.6:80.

Correct?

In that case, when a user directs his browser at either domain1.com or domain2.net the names are resolved to the external IP address of your router, the browser connects to that address port 80/tcp (the default port for HTTP), the router forwards the connection to 192.168.0.5:80, which host only domain1.com, but not domain2.net. Thus the latter requests will fail.

If you want to keep that setup, you need to point your browser towards domain2.net:81 to be able to access domain2.net hosted by 192.168.0.6.

However, why are you using two servers in the first place? One web server can easily host multiple domains, so you'd just need to forward port 80/tcp to a single server and it will serve requests for either domain.

And please use RFC 2606 domain names in your examples next time. That's what they're reserved for in the first place.

cu

59cobalt
Reply to
Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

Hi.

Thanks for your reply.

OK, that makes sense. I see why I am getting both .NET and .COM for the ISP's public IP address.

That is what I thought and tried this and I get "cannot establish connection". But, when I try to access this server using its local IP addy (192.168...), it resolves as expected. I can also ping the server from anywhere in the local network. I just can't seem to get to it from outside using the domain:port convention. This is why I thought it may have to do with the fact that SheildsUp! cannot recognize port

I am doing this because the domain2.net server is actually a video encoder that has a web interface for setup and installation. the .com server is a web server for hosting my web site. So, I need to independant IP addresses on the network for each individual box.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Reply to
pbd22

Sounds to me like your router is either not forwarding the connection to the correct host and/or port, or is blocking access. Check your router's configuration for both forwarding and filtering back with the manual.

[...]

That doesn't mean you need two independent web servers. You can easily mount a share from the encoding server on the web server and have that box serve both domains.

cu

59cobalt
Reply to
Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

May or may not. The ShieldsUp shit is known to be horribly broken, and the real problem might be a totally different one. You'd better use a serious port scan to get an indication of what's actually going on.

No, you don't. Just use a reverse proxy with forwarding.

Reply to
Sebastian G.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.