Help: Cant Connect to workgroup computers

Morning alll

HAving aproblem connecting to the computers in a home network. I cant seem to connect to the other computers in my home network.

I think the problem is with Norton Internet Security. I say this because When I disable the NIS I can connect to the other computers on the network and accees shared folders on the other computers in the named workgroup.

If I then re enable NIS I cant get to the shared folders on the other computers.

Follow is an error message I get when trying to connect to a computer on the network:

\\\\computername is not accessible.ou might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the admisistrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The network path was not found."

UNQUOTE

I installed norton internet security after I had to do a clean install of the system after some major problems. In any case the home network is going screwie.

I have other issues but if I could get this one solved Im hoping the rest will be easy to resolve.

Using a Linksys wireless router model BEFW11S4 v.2 with 4 point switch (4 computers on the net) all hard wired and an occasional wireless guest. Have the wep enabled and mandatory.

Windows XP Media center on 2 computers and windows home edition on 2 others.

As I say when I disable the NIS on the computer I am trying to reach I can connect but not when the NIS is enabled. Im thinking the problem is home where with my setting in NIS.

I have put the trusted IP range in the NIS firewall settings, firewall, networking, trusted zones (home - active) 192.168.1.100 thru 192.168.110. Im thinking the problem may be in the general rules under the advance setting on the NIS. This is where items are blocked or allowed then again heck.... I dont know... help please.

Thanks much..... any and all advise appreciated .. would like to get back to shareing between computers.

Oh ya... folders are shared and changeing files has been allowed when I shared the folders....

Again... any and all advice is appreciated...

AKA Cast8Away AKA Dobbie

May Your Sock Count Always Be Even

Reply to
TheWolFMaN
Loading thread data ...

Add a rule allow i/o 192.168.1.1-192.168.1.255 ports 136,445 tcp+udp

Reply to
Jeff B

Evening Jeff B...

thanks much for the info... going to get doing now but a question.... would this be from the (ports that is) a local or remote??? (as shown on the port selection screen)

What is the port 136 normally used for??? Noticed 445 is microsoft but didnt see what 136 was used for...

thanks... AKA Cast8Away AKA Dobbie

Reply to
TheWolFMaN

Evening Jeff

Tried as you mentioned above but still can not connect the 2 computers together. ... I did reboot both computers, new firewall rue was alloed but still no joy...

any other suggestions???? Maybe Im looking at the problem wrong BUT I still think its got to do with norton...

AKA Cast8Away AKA Dobbie

Reply to
TheWolFMaN

Evening again Jeff B

Seems I may have jumped the gun befor when I said I could not get to the shared folders on the other computer.

I CAN get to the shared folders and I can map the folder to a drive on this computer. I just cannot browse the other computer (lets call it thebox for want of a name) when going to my network places and then to the work group name (star1) being the work group name for all the computers in my work group.

In any case I can map a shared folder from "thebox" as long as I know the folder name such as \\\\thebox\\junk1 - junk1 being the folder.

Is there anyway I could browse all the shared folders on "thebox" when I go to my net work places / work group??

Seems that I was able to do this befor. It would make it a lot easier when sitting at the individual computers inthis work group if I could see all the shared folders when browseing the work group no matter what computer I was at...

In anycase I can now map the folders to the needed computer / peer. Thanks much...

AKA Cast8Away AKA Dobbie

Reply to
TheWolFMaN

Did some looking and found out 136 is just in bound and outbound traffie and when I do a scan of open ports this is still firewalled under my normal ip as given by the ISP... so no problem... Again thanks for the help... I would still be bouncing off the walls if not for your help...

AKA Cast8Away AKA Dobbie

Reply to
TheWolFMaN

oops; should have been 139,445 these are the file/print sharing ports (also used for SAMBA access from Linux)

if you share folders \\F1, \\F2, \\F3 on system \\\\remotesys, then using My Network Places->entire network->ms Win net->workgroup you will find [+] on remotesys and clicking on the [+] will be the list F1, F2, F3 you can open any of them, or browse into them any way you please

Reply to
Jeff B

you normally want the ISP-WAN side isolated from the LAN side, as this is where the bad-guys live - - especially for ports 139,445!

open these ONLY for your 192.168*.* net and live will be beautiful

Reply to
Jeff B

to get \\\\remotesys to be seen by-name,

1) use static ip address from yourrouter, OR 2) map the MAC addresses -> specific LAN addresses

this ensures that \\\\systemA is always at the same IP address

then, find LMHOSTS down \\windows\\system32\\drivers\\etc and add systema 192.168.0.x # whatever IP you've choosen systemb 192.168.0.y

reboot

you should be able to PING SYSTEMA successfully:-) and thus use \\\\systema anywhere it's needed

Reply to
Jeff B

Morning...

Just one other question....

when I "filtered by" "Individually Specified Ports" (136 and 445) I was given the option / choice, under the heading of "Locality" of either "remote" or "Local".

Can I take that to mean "Local" = just the 192.168.1.XXX wan side of the house and remote = anyone from the lan side (letting in the bad guys??)

Currently I have the remote option selected. Should I change that to local???

AKA Cast8Away AKA Dobbie

Reply to
TheWolFMaN

no, you need to OPEN the access to the remote port for outbound. some background may help.

your email servers (one for your inbox, one for sending) are on the remote system(s) and you need to access them, not your system(s). the PORT is part of the protocol to open the inbox, for example.

when you config your email reader, you specify the server name eg mail.domain.com and perhaps smtp.domain.com there's also a default port number associated with each

Reply to
Jeff B

Ya I forgot about email.... that is remote.... great...thanks....

your help has made life easy... oh the joy... (G)

AKA Cast8Away AKA Dobbie

Reply to
TheWolFMaN

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.