Hardware-Software Firewall Combo Part Deux

Hi People,

I asked this question earlier and the thread is growing fast with everything but the answer to my question so this time I'm just trying to keep it simple:

What is a good hardward firewall in the under $200.00 range and a good software firewall to go with it? How might I best configure this combo? Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You, Matt

Reply to
matt3000
Loading thread data ...

A Netgear ICSA certified FW router or a low-end FW appliance like Watchguard, Sonicwall and others.

I can't recommend a personal FW/personal packet filter, as you don't need one, if you get a solution that meets the specs for *what is a FW* and *what does a FW do*, in the link, like the solutions above. You only need a personal FW/packet filter on a machine and active, if you're not behind a FW, like the ones above.

formatting link
You should get something that uses the free "Wallwatcher".

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

build an avg spec machine with plenty of ram and two network cards (i used a proliant 1850r as a firewall, its scsi raid 1 which is fast), install debian 3.1 stable and iptables and nothing else, should do good for less than 200$ most ready to eat firewall appliances are way off that price range, second hand checkpoint appliances may be within reach however. A software firewall as well would not serve much point.

Flamer.

Reply to
die.spam

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.