Great Firewall/Australia censorship proposal

Leythos wrote in news:MPG.23a59f3af53f8ff5989757 @us.news.astraweb.com:

Sorry for the confusion. I see that now.

Agreed. In my case, all it would take is taking a look at my little personal firewall's connection listing, which I actually do quite a bit. I'm still stuck on dial up and sometimes I'm not doing anything and I see the rx/tx lights going and I wonder "who's talking?" A quick glance at the connections box and I have my answer.

I would imagine in a larger network environment it wouldn't be THAT easy, but if an admin decided to browse some logs to look for this type of stuff, he'd know what to look for and recognize it easily. They better, or they shouldn't be running the network.

Brian

Reply to
Skywise
Loading thread data ...

"Chilly8" wrote in news:ghft79$t52$ snipped-for-privacy@aioe.org:

And how do you know that the filtering sites don't use proxy's to browse around and categorize websites? That would negate your so-called 'defenses'.

But even so, as has been pointed out numerous times to you, a properly configured network WILL block you anyway. DUH!!

The only people you are fooling are those idiots who leave their car doors unlocked and windows open in the crusty side of town.

Even my little personal firewall would handle you. It's a no brainer. It blocks EVERYTHING unless I specifically and purposely give permission to a particular connection.

Geez, here I am talking about how little I know about this stuff, and yet it's apparent I know enough to know more than you.

Brian

Reply to
Skywise

X-No-Archive: Yes

Actually, I have all the major filtering vendors' ip ranges blocked. And since the categorisation is all done by automated software, it will appaer to their "spiders" that my site is not there, and it will be reported as such when they review the results.

Reply to
Chilly8

Howeer, the filtering software vendors use automated "spiders" to crawl sites, which is why firewall trick work. If it were done b humans, instead of automated web crawlers, then, yes, a human could use a proxy, but the automated web crawlers know no better.

Reply to
Chilly8

What part of Category FILTERS are not needed to block complete access to your site don't you understand.

By default your side has no relevant business services to offer almost all companies, it's not in the approved list of sites that customers could reach by default - that means that without ANY additional work, your sites would be blocked by default, without even needing to use a "Websense" type filter tool.

So, again, it's easy to detect people listening to streaming content, easy to see where they are going, easy to block it BY DEFAULT.

Reply to
Leythos

Which is why any responsible solution would have your site, as well as any non-business site, blocked by default.

Easy to spot, easy to tell it's streaming, easy to have blocked by default.

Reply to
Leythos

I do know that I am seeing listening coming from a lot of small and mid-sized companies that cannot afford the cost of a decent filtering solution, and those networks are not filtered. Since switching over to Christmas music (when not doing live programming), I have seen listening from smaller and mid-sized companies increase by quite a bit.

Reply to
Chilly8

"Chilly8" wrote in news:ghhikj$998$ snipped-for-privacy@aioe.org:

You are either an inept ignoramus or a troll.

Actually, I think you are both.

But in case you have a brain cell or two left, I don't have to do anything with my software to block your service. It is already blocked. Now, if I somehow downloaded and ran your software, my firewall would pop up a message asking if the connection is OK. Your service will remain blocked until I press the 'yes' button. Otherwise, you are blocked. Period. Until I intervene and allow the connection, it will be blocked.

Brian

Reply to
Skywise

Web crawling to look for keywords within categories is not the only means of how WebSense or other censoring services would classify your site, your proxy, or your identity at a webhosting provider. Their customers can also manage their own blocklists and also report sites to WebSense to get them categorized. Websense also uses human inspection, not just spiders. Did you open a free 30-day trial account at WebSense to ensure that your site(s), proxies, and providers haven't been categorized by checking their lookup database

formatting link
It appears your users must first access Live 365 to get at your proxy which means the categorization(s) already occurred at the point of using Live 365 (as a multimedia data streaming service that many companies would block because their employees are supposed to be working, not listening to Xmas music and consuming the company's bandwidth and violating their terms of employment at that company). If your listeners need to use live365.com to get at your site (directly or through proxy), that access has already been categorized because of the live365.com site that was involved in accessing your hosted service. No censor service needs to crawl your "site" to determine its content because it has already been divulged by having to access it through live365.com.

Also remember that blocking need not follow the "allow all, block some" model. It can also use the "block all, allow some" model (i.e., only whitelisted targets are allowed). Also, *not* being categorized is another "category" that can be blocked.

Since WebSense is a worldwide operation utilizing many data centers around the world for collection, database services, and load balancing, are you really blocking the entire IP ranges for all those data centers (along with all other services from those same data centers)? If so, why not just not block the entire IP address range except for your subscribers during a login process that allows their IP address during a listening session? I suppose having to login in, even with anonymous credentials, would be counter to the purpose of your service.

Reply to
VanguardLH

Please delineate the actions committed by a spider that are also not committed by a "user". Both are retrieving the content of your site.

Reply to
VanguardLH

Or it could be a snake-oil merchant. The only thing more ignorant are the customers of the merchant.

Physicists are examining prior hypotheses that no information can escape from a black hole.

Traffic between firewalls and individual computers can at least be monitored. Who's using a computer at a particular point in time can be determined fairly easily.

The traffic summaries per (ostensible) user delivered to departmental managers on a regular basis or when it's time to cut staff.

Reply to
Bernd Felsche

And the real thing is that the companies don't understand the amount of LOSS they experience from letting their employees have unrestricted access.

In general, you can recover 30% productivity and regain speed on the net with a cheap $1500 firewall solution that would block crap like you.

That's $1500 per year, and the savings are many times that.

Reply to
Leythos

Wrong, they know that there is a VPN tunnel from China to Sydney, that's easy to spot and easy to block.

Reply to
Leythos

So your claim is now that some of your customers can listen to your multimedia datastream from companies that don't employ or poorly employ any security or censoring of content or source which means all your webcrawler filtering and proxying was unnecessary.

Reply to
VanguardLH

Some school districts are filtering students, but not employees. I can tell by some of the traffic I am getting from the offices of some schools. I suspect this is a cost-cutting moves, since most filtering solutions are on a "per-seat" licence.

What I can't figure out is HOW school districts are able to eliminate filtering for employees, but keep it for students, when they are coming off the same network. There is NO filtering or firewall solution in existence that a school could use to filter students, while leaving the office staff un-filtered. What I cannot figure out is how admins were able to do the IMPOSSIBLE task of having some computers filtered, and others not.

Reply to
Chilly8

that's because you don't understand security, networking, or anything else about networking or security - you only let people FOOL YOU into paying them money for half-baked ideas that you think prove their points.

It's very simple to let some people access more content than others, it's a normal thing in most companies.

Reply to
Leythos

"Chilly8" wrote in news:ghn9ea$1hu$ snipped-for-privacy@aioe.org:

This just proves you HAVE NO CLUE how filtering works.

Confucious say, "A closed mouth gathers no foot."

Brian

Reply to
Skywise

The next evolution for us will be online television. We are working on ways now to simulcast both using online TV and online radio. I found one P2P television service that supports the use of proxies, so as long as we keep the outgoing bitrate below about 310K, one encrypted subscription Socks proxy service, in Belgium, will work.

There are still a lot of technical details to be worked out, but once we get it going, we will be broadcasting sports, and other stuff, on our new online TV station, using TVants (which supports proxies, and thus, can be used with one encrypted Socks proxy service).

If and when we get to broadcast the innauguration on Barack Obama on

20th January, on our new online TV station, we expect it to be corporate admins WORST NIGHTMARE. We plan to broadcast at a bitrate of about 300K, just below the bandwidth cap that this one subscription socks service has. Corporate admins will be wondering what all the encrypted stuff that users are receiving, at 300K apiece.

And European admins will be stocking in on the aspirin, when we cause them a REAL headche during the European Fiugre Skating Championships (assuming we get everything fixed in time). Admins will get a splitting headche figuring out what is going on.

Reply to
Chilly8

So if I take advantage of the fact that you're not categorized anywhere and block all uncategorized sites, how exactly does your traffic make it through again?

Reply to
DevilsPGD

LOL, don't give him any ideas - he doesn't know about firewalls and now he's going to be running around trying to find that info :)

Reply to
Leythos

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.