FVS318 site blocking no longer works

I use my FVS318 to block pages that are notorious for installing malware and logging activity. It used to block these like a champ but is now letting through pages that were once blocked.

Here's what I have configured on the 'Blocked Sites' page:

- "Turn Keyword Blocking On" is CHECKED

- "Block Sites Containing These Keywords Or Domain Names" has lots of sites blocked (actually as many as it will hold so I can't add any more)

- "Allow Trusted IP Address To Visit Blocked Sites" is NOT checked

Most of the sites I've blocked are ad-ware related.

Any idea why the blocking no longer works even though the list of blocked sites is still intact?

Thanks.

Reply to
DataMan
Loading thread data ...

"DataMan" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

Hey, either do a hard rest on the router or re-flash it and see what happens.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Thanks, Duane. I have since powered off the entire network (PC's, router, modem) but the problem still exists. I assume by 're-flash' you mean to upgrade firmware. Haven't had a chance to take on that task (never did that before ... want to make sure I'm prepared for potential new fallout if/when I do that). Any suggestions on undertaking that would be appreciated.

Reply to
DataMan

It's actually a Netgear router

formatting link
not D-Link. Sorry to be dense but what do you mean by 're-flash the router'? How would I go about doing that?

Thanks.

Reply to
DataMan

"DataMan" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

I cannot tell you about the re-flash other that there should be a Support Knowledge Base at D-Link's site or you can call them. And what I mean by re-flash is do it with the current version of the firmware the router is using and re-flash the router. However, you could use a later version of the firmware too.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

"DataMan" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

You go to the Netgear site and download the firmware and flash the router. You may want to call Netgear Tech Support and have them walk you through it.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

"DataMan" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

You go to the Netgear site and download the firmware and flash the router. You may want to call Netgear Tech Support and have them walk you through it.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.