ftp not working, suspect firewall setting

Firefox and IE time out when I try to access this file: ftp://ftp.publicdebt.treas.gov/opd/opdm052006.pdf

I have this trouble at home, where I sit behind a hardware firewall (SonicWall Soho3); however, at a different location I did successfully download the file with no problem using Firefox.

Any ideas what's causing the problem and how I might fix it?

Thanks, Steve

Reply to
Steve Conover
Loading thread data ...

Use an ftp client instead. Browsers are designed for browsing. They don't work well as an ftp client

Reply to
ABC

Beside that IE is no browser, it is a wonderful FTP client and proxy. Simply add some FTP commands separated with %13 to your adress bar and it will execute every desired command. The proxying comes in because every website can retarget FTP commands to any server. :-)

Geez, I guess the problem is with Active FTP. Use Passive FTP instead.

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

I used PowerDesk Pro's ftp client feature, which indicates it is "connected" -- but no folders or files are displayed when I do that. Any idea why that would happen?

ABC wrote:

Reply to
Steve Conover

"Steve Conover" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@h76g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Setting the client to Passive FTP may help this situation.

Reply to
John Gray

Yes, it is set on passive already. I don't understand why PowerDesk says I'm connected, but displays no folders or files (as it does for my other ftp sites). Could it be some kind of setting at the server site?

Steve

John Gray wrote:

Reply to
Steve Conover

"Steve Conover" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@y43g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

Steve, It's definitely not the server, as I just downloaded the file you referenced. I used Firefox. I'm on Win XP Pro, am behind a NAT router, and am running a software firewall. I'm at a loss. It's beyond my expertise.

Reply to
John Gray

Then why are you running a firewall (at least you believe it to be such) at all?

BTW, please fix your horrible quoting.

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

Try switching active/passive mode for FTP.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

BINGO. Thank you VB, that worked. Now I can see all the files in the PowerDesk window, and it also works for all my other ftp sites.

Guess I'd better read up on the difference between active and passive.

Thanks again, Steve

Volker Birk wrote:

Reply to
Steve Conover

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.