Free Firewall software

hello. I'm new to this group. Ive done a search for the topic at hand, but all topics failed to answers my concerns.

currently, as it stands, my computer lies vulnerable to attacks as i am using no firewall software, with the exception of windows XP firewall. i have read it doesn't offer much protection. i know of two "free" firewall applications, kerio, and zone alarm. i have tried kerio before, however, as i don't have the money to pay for it, and to be quite frank i don't agree with stealing, especially something like a firewall, it didn't really suit my needs. ( i share this connection with other computers.) i have read some bad things about zone-alarm, and that it does not protect very well at all.

i need a good, free firewall solution. buying a hardware firewall, or other pay software is not an option, as i have no spare cash.

if anyone could help, i would be appreciative. thanks.

Reply to
todd10000
Loading thread data ...

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news:1112239283.354049.235840 @l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

Hi. Try this link:

formatting link

Reply to
Darko Gavrilovic

LOL ;-)

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

That's good enough.

It isn't right, they aren't better.

Look here:

formatting link

Look above.

• Be a restricted user.
  • Don't use the Internet Explorer for the internet.
  • Don't run any malware on your computer.
  • Don't offer services for the internet.

HTH Wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang Ewert

I'm using ZoneAlarm. My (Netgear) router also claims to provide Firewall protection. I assume its just a basic packet filter.

Regards,

Ben

Reply to
bensmyth

If you should try Sygate Firewall, as Melissa suggested, you might find the following useful:

Unofficial Help:

formatting link
Sygate Forums:
formatting link
Users Guide and Quick Start Guide:
formatting link
Compare SPF Pro and SPF Free (See what's inside each one)
formatting link
d/l
formatting link
I have used Sygate for about 4-yrs. now and I find it to be an excellent firewall that has been trouble free. To set it up properly, some knowledge of IPs, protocols, and ports is needed. You can start out using it in its simplest form and add rules as you learn. (as I did) Casey

Reply to
Casey

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.