firewalls and a static IP address

I have a situation where multiple customers allow remote access through a firewall via SSH, Remote Access Cards, etc. All the customers allow access ONLY from the same specific IP address.

My question is, is there a hardware device, router, etc that would allow a nomadic user via a laptop to connect with; which then allow the laptop to have the same external IP address as the device/network (which just so happens to be the IP address the customers allow through their firewalls)?

Currently I have to log into a server or pc (using remote access software, SSH, etc) and then use the computer I logged into to connect to my customer.

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated!

Bill

Reply to
bill.oneil
Loading thread data ...

If I understand you correctly, you want a device you can plug a laptop into that'll give it a specific, routable public IP address on whatever arbitrary network you happen to be connected to?

No. There is no device that'll let you use a specific public IP address in an arbitrary network. The first router you hit outbound will probably drop your traffic because the packet's source address is not in its network. Secondly, how would the return traffic get back to you?

Reply to
sodaant

Using SSH Key authentication is sufficient w/o source IP mappings. The client needs to input the passphrase and it is validated against the public key. Your working too hard.

Reply to
Jeff B

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.