Firewall Software Recommendations?

What are some of the better choices (see Subject), free or commercial? Are there some reviews on this topic?

Reply to
W. Watson
Loading thread data ...

I like the freeware "Comodo" firewall:

formatting link

I do find it necessary to disable it, though, whenever I install a new program. You can "switch to installation mode", but then it will keep nagging you if you want to switch back. Apart from that nagging problem, it seems to work as advertised. And it's a big improvement over previous versions of this firewall.

I don't know much about it, but I've read that a hardware firewall is supposed to provide more security, at an added cost.

Reply to
Ckyp

| | I like the freeware "Comodo" firewall: | |

formatting link
| | I do find it necessary to disable it, though, whenever I install a new program. | You can "switch to installation mode", but then it will keep nagging you if you | want to switch back. Apart from that nagging problem, it seems to work as | advertised. And it's a big improvement over previous versions of this firewall. | | I don't know much about it, but I've read that a hardware firewall is supposed | to provide more security, at an added cost. |

Hardware based FireWall appliances are far better then software FireWalls and don't hog resources.

Even a NAT Router with simplistic FireWall constructs is preferred.

Such devices can also be monitored with software such as WallWatcher.

formatting link

Reply to
David H. Lipman

Bingo!

Another solution; acquire a obsolete pc via freecycle, add a spare nic and cruise on over to ipcop.com and grab the iso.

My minimal experience with wallwatcher has been most positive.

Reply to
§

This brings up a whole 'nother approach for me. I've been using the final free Sygate Personal Firewall on my PCs for some time now, and I greatly regret Symantec's purchase and trashing of the product. I've actually used Sygate in both free and bundled forms for 7 years (hint: the free version was better!). I like the way that it works -- a perfect balance between sensible operation, good performance, usability (no small consideration) and resource use (another important aspect of a security program). But the free version does have a glass cieling: a limit on the amount of custom rules it'll accept, and I've banged against that limit.

Now, about a hardware firewall:

I've got two old PCs. One is a 486, 100kc speed, can't recall the memory (it's maxed out for whatever its limit is) -- something like a 2g hard drive. I've got Dos 6.22, Windows 3.11 for it. I've also got original install disks for Windows 95 and Windows XP (home upgrade).

The second PC is a laptop with W95 on it. I don't have specs. It's working fine. This laptop is so primitive that it doesn't even have any CD drive on it -- just a floppy and a HD.

I'd appreciate knowing if either of these machines can make sense as a hardware firewall.

I apologize for replying in the same cross-posting that the OP used.

TIA

Richard

Reply to
Richard Steinfeld

I used the free SPF, and I completely agree with you. Now I use Kerio Personal Firewall

formatting link
and I am quite happy with it. ZoneAlarm is a popular freeware firewall but IMHO its default policies concerning outbound traffic are too loose. And it is not so easy to use and configure. I would not recommend ZA.

Just my two cents (well, let's say one).

Reply to
leonardodiserpierodavinci

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.