Firewall problems with file-share programs [help needed!]

I'm having speed and connecting problems with file-share programs [shareaza, morphius].. they all tend to have the same problem.. "connection firewalled" the help pages say that i'll have to make some configurations in my router.. i have DSL

formatting link
.. i'm afraid those configurations would mess up my dsl.

plz tell me how do i solve this firewall problem?

Reply to
eman_ch
Loading thread data ...

okey now, i sure i'm not compromising my precious laptop.. would you pls solve this firewall problem for me? could it be a [built in] xp firewall?

Reply to
eman_ch

Installing and using those programs is one of the fastest ways to compromise your computer. There is so much malware associated with P2P sharing that you should stay away from it.

You mention Router, if you have DSL, you have a small DSL modem, do you also have a ROUTER (like a Linksys/DLink/other)?

To be honest, P2P is just a bad idea for questionable files.

Reply to
Leythos

People who are concerned about not having a machine compromised/hacked to death or their network hacked to death know to stay away from P2P(s). The configuration of the router will not mess-up your DSL connection. However, having a machine on the network compromised will mess-up your DSL connection at the machine level.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane ;-)

You've not told us enough information:

1) What type of internet connection do you have?

DSL 256k

2) What version of Windows?

XP home.

3) What service packs for Windows?

don't know..

4) What are you doing that you think is slow?

the downloads in a file-sharing program.. i just got dsl, expecting the downloads to get faster.. the speed is 1-->10KB/s, which is slow.. plus other filesharing programs say that im connected behind a firewall causing a limited search results and slower downloads.

5) What other firewalls do you have installed?

didn't install any.

6) Do you have a NAT box (linksys/dlink...)?

yeah i have ADSL ZOOM X5

formatting link
hope this helps...

Reply to
eman_ch

You've not told us enough information:

1) What type of internet connection do you have? 2) What version of Windows? 3) What service packs for Windows? 4) What are you doing that you think is slow? 5) What other firewalls do you have installed? 6) Do you have a NAT box (linksys/dlink...)?
Reply to
Leythos

Like the other poster has indicated, you need to come-up with some vital information.

Reply to
Duane ;-)

thanks Leythos so much! looks like nothing i can do?! i think now i'll give up that speed i've been dreaming about..

Reply to
eman_ch

hey Duane Arnold,, the configuration of the router looks rather complicated.. i called the company they said i better not change anything from defualt.. again i went to Norton anti-virus and made sure that [shareaza] is in the permit list..

Reply to
eman_ch

That's only 8 times faster than a dial-up connection, and it's slower then molasses on a very cold day.

Had you run Windows Update from IE?

Many P2P File Sharing services will provide slower service is you don't also share your files with others, but, you don't want to put a hole in your router as it will expose your computer to others. Also, P2P applications connect to other users computers, their speed is what they want it to be, not what your ISP provides - many users limit their OUTPUT to the net to reduce the load on their networks.

Interesting, it appears to be a DSL MODEM, but it also has NAT functions, does it issue you a 192.168.x.y address or does it give you a public IP address.

Also, if you purchased a DSL/256k connection, the 256k is the MAX you are going to get, the norm will be less than 256k most times.

Also, note that it's 256k/bits/second, not bytes/second, which means you get about 25k/bytes/second at best, on a very good day.

Reply to
Leythos

eman snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news:1117232122.130597.19080 @g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

You ever go to the MS Update site and apply any updates?

So what did the applications say were corrective actions if the applications provided any help documentation concerning the issue of a FW?

And you may have to go to the product's Tech Support for the configuration of the device. That device seems to be in the ball park of a US Robotics' ADSL router/modem and those things are hard to configure, if one needs to go beyond the default settings and configure the device.

Does the device have an online user manual?

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.