Firewall prob

Hi, when I shutdown Zonealarm Pro v6.1.744.001 my XP Pro SP2 Security Center shows that the firewall is off. If I try to enable windows firewall or click onto the windows firewall icon i get a dialogue box stating ....Due to an unidentified problem, Windows cannot display Windows Firewall settings....I don't ever recall getting this display before. I can launch Zonealarm Pro through Start... all programs....and the Security center shows firewall is on. I use Nod32 2.51 Spywareblaster Spybot S&D Webroot Spysweeper 4.5

Does this indicate a possible virus?

How do I solve this problem?

Reply to
tommyruff
Loading thread data ...

With zonealarm as the predominant firewall it has taken priority over the win version. Would suggest a total uninstall of zonealarm if your preference is to use windows, although one would have to beg the question as to why you would want to do so.

Reply to
Eagle

You can try to reset the FW and see what happens. And no, another host based personal FW is not going to stop another PFW from running, unless it's some kind of malware PFW. ;-)

Duane :)

formatting link

Reply to
Duane Arnold

I have tried resetting windows firewall defaults by Start...Run...typing in..... firewall.cpl I have also tried .....netsh firewall reset both without any luck. The reason I have asked this question is I use to be able to access the windows firewall setting display on my desktop PC I am still able to do this on my laptop running same ZA ver and same OS I am wanting to know why the difference now and whether I can easily fix this. Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Reply to
tommyruff

Ok fixed now I have followed solution case 1 instructions from this site

formatting link
Regards

Reply to
tommyruff

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.