firewall and portforwarding

Hi,

I would like to as you guys, what is the best free firewall software with portforwarding ability? I want to use it together with dyndns.com service. thanks

Reply to
mike888
Loading thread data ...

What are you talking about? If you're talking about some personal FW solution, you open the ports on a PFW solution. You forward the ports on a hardware, appliance or a gateway software network FW solution.

Reply to
Mr. Arnold

Since you're not beeing very specific...

OpenBSD 4.0 with PF and checkip (dyndns-client).

Reply to
Eirik Seim

Sorry about not being specific, what I am trying to do is following: I have one WinXP laptop which connected thru internet via 3G PCMCIA modem. and I also have one linux box in my LAN as a webserver, so everytime my laptop connected to the internet I want people outside to be able to see my linux webserver. I am thinking about subscribing to dyndns.com and then do Portworwarding in my laptop firewall. Let say people access my laptop thru mylocal.dyndns.com:80/ and it will be redirected by my laptop firewall to my local linux webserver

is that posible to do that? and do you guys have any recommendation about free windows firewall with portforwarding ability?

I hope I wrote it clear.

thanks

Reply to
mike888

Why don't you get a device to connect to the internet first, not your laptop, then use that device (often called a router) to forward to your web server all the time. You can then hang an access point off the router and use your laptop any time you want.

Reply to
Leythos

Why don't you keep it simple. You should get a router or low end or used FW appliance that does port forwarding to a specified IP/machine. As far as you finding some kind of free FW solution that does port forwarding on the Windows platform, I doubt that you'll find anything that's free that's worth anything that's going to run on that laptop.

Reply to
Mr. Arnold

Thanks for all replies, I really appreciate it. I have my own router, but the router does not connect to the internet directly it has to connect to the internet thru my laptop, because I have this hsdpa 3G PCMCIA Modem card from my office and I am traveling alot this year so I've decided to cancel my ADSL line. Correct me if I am wrong, my understanding is that if the router does not connect to the internet directly it will not be able to do PortForwarding? Am I correct here?

Thanks.

Reply to
mike888

If the router is connected to the laptop and the laptop is the gateway to the Internet, the router is getting an IP from the laptop, it has its DHCP server active, or the DHCP is not active then the router would be just a switch it can't route, then you should be able to router traffic to a LAN IP/machine connected on the router, if the DHCP server on the router is active.

Really, you need to change this situation of the laptop acting as a gateway running the Windows O/S. It's bad news. You don't have the O/S on the laptop conditioned to face the Internet and it can be easily attacked. You should have the router acting as the gateway, facing the Internet protecting the LAN and all machines behind the router.

Reply to
Mr. Arnold

Thanks alot for you infos here, I will try to buy 3G Mobile Router then.

Thanks.

Reply to
mike888

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.