Firewall Affecting Website Page Load Speed?

Hello,

I am in the process of creating a website for my wife's clothing embroidery business. I am close to pushing it to "production" on the Web. The site is already sitting on the Web, but users are re- directed to an "Under Construction" page when they access my URL.

One issue that concerns me is page load speed. When I try accessing my site at work (within my company's firewall), almost all of my pages take 2-3 minutes to load. One of the pages contains many images, but all of the others have one or two images on the page. Almost all of my pages connect to a database (SQL Server 2005), but do basic queries to retrieve data for dropdowns, strings for image names, etc.

The reason I think this may be firewall-related is because I have had several friends and acquaintances access the site (providing them direct links to specific pages within my site) from their homes and/or work locations and all of the pages will return in five (5) seconds or less.

What, if anything, could be restricting my ability to access my website's pages from work in a timely manner? Why am I not experiencing this "phenomenon" with any other sites?

I am hosting this website at home on a machine running Windows XP Pro using IIS.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Kevin G.

Reply to
Kevin G.
Loading thread data ...

Hi,

And now you wanted to start to tell us, what the firewall and internet conneciton setup at your workplace is.

Else we have to use the crystal balls.

Cheers, Jens

Reply to
Jens Hoffmann

What specific information would you need to help diagnose the problem?

Is there any information that I could retrieve from the command line that would help you diagnose?

At work, we use a proxy server for our Internet connection.

Thanks, Kev> Hi,

Reply to
Kevin G.

If your site is fast outside the company, and your friends confirm that, then why do you care if it's slow from your office? Unless you are building the site for the company you work for you are wasting company time on personal business.

Reply to
Leythos

Reply to
Kevin G.

Well, since you're at work, you don't have much of complaint in it being slow.

You do understand that Windows XP only supports 10 connections, that you could be saturating it, that your proxy could be using more than 10 connections, that your website could be compromised and have used the 10 connections...

Reply to
Leythos

Yes, I am aware of the 10 connection limit with Windows XP. I'm considering switching to Apache because of this.

Thanks for your input.

Kev> >

Reply to
Kevin G.

Why not switch to Windows 2003? You can get the Action Pack as a web hosting company for $400 and it comes with XP, Vista, Windows 2003 Standard, Ent, Web, SBS 2003 Prem R2, MS Office, etc....

If you are going to be hosting websites then you are a hosting provider, that qualifies you for the Microsoft Action Pack subscription.

Reply to
Leythos

You're putting up a Web site with solutions you wrote? You're using IIS on Windows XP. You have SQL Server running on the same box. You have not secured the O/S, file system, registry, user accounts, or IIS itself for a machine that's exposed to the Internet. Most likely, you have not even secured SQL server.

Do you even know what is in the link means, which I suspect the Web solutions and everything else on that machine is open to attack.

formatting link
I read the part about you may go to Apache. It doesn't make a difference what Web server you use or what O/S you use too.

If you have not done your home work on the security aspects, then the site is nothing but hack bait and a jumping off point to attack others and possibly other networks.

You may have more concerns than some page download speed.

Reply to
Mr. Arnold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.