Firewall Advice

In my opinion, you don't really need much of a firewall with dialup. However, windows 98 is very old, and very insecure. I recommend upgrading to Windows XP Pro SP2, or else going over to Linux. Both alternatives are better than Windows 98.

They're smoking crack. While it might not be the best in their opinion, it's still very nice.

Their recommendation is valid.

Then buy a firewall that comes with technical support. PC Magazine is still recommending Zone Alarm last time I checked.

Reply to
NeoSadist
Loading thread data ...

Yes, good point..

Reply to
Kerodo

This is true also. Just idling, Sygate consumes 2-4% cpu here on Win2k, as compared to 1% or less with Kerio, ZA and others.

Another thing that's bad for beginners in Sygate is that you have to manually go into the Advanced options for each app you allow and uncheck the "act as server" option or else you'll be allowing incoming connections by default. Sygate should change this default behavior.

99% of programs don't need to act as a server.
Reply to
Kerodo

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 22:47:04 GMT, Kerodo spoketh

This is true. However, the OP needs to know that the answer to 99% of the questions that pops up with ZoneAlarm (or any other desktop firewall for that matter) is "NO".

Lars M. Hansen

formatting link
'badnews' with 'news' in e-mail address)

Reply to
Lars M. Hansen

NG, I would appreciate some advice about a firewall. I do not currently have one on my system. Computer: 5+year old laptop, Win 98 se, @200 megs ram, 6 gig HD with about (on a good day) 500 megs free space. Dial-up connection.

1. Someone said that Zone Alarm is no good.

1. Someone recommended Sygate Personal Firewall, the downloadable free version off the internet.

2. I'm not a computer wiz. I know where the 'On' button is.
Reply to
Janice

Windows 98 SE, if you disable file/printer sharing can be made secure if you install a personal firewall.

Zone alarm is one of the best personal firewalls on the market, it's generally trouble free, and for personal use their limited version is free.

What you need is something with a SMALL footprint - I would suggest that you try the free Zone Alarm first, then Sygate.

If you really want to be secure, and this is not cheap, you could get a LAN modem device - it's a device that works like a dial-on-demand router. Your computer would connect to a network jack on the router and when you try and do something on the internet, the router would auto- dial your ISP. This router uses NAT so that inbound in blocked unless you invite it in.

Don't let anyone tell you that Dial-Up is more secure than anything else, it's a real-time full service connection to the internet, it's just slower than DSL or Cable. I see more than 100 people a year that have hacked computers that are still on dial-up.

Reply to
Leythos

NeoSadist wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Thank you for the reply.

1. Upgrade? I'll throw this damn laptop away and just buy a new on, once that new job comes along. Until then......different day.

1. Smokin' crack about Zone Alarm............

2. I'll check PC Mag's web site to see what they say, although I believe you're correct about their still recommending ZA.

** My purpose for needing a firewall is not just for email, it's for various newsgroups on the alt.net. I like to feel clean and safe.

Reply to
Janice

Janice wrote in news:Xns9541AED75A900janice221amfnet@204.127.36.1:

Both ZoneAlarm and Sygate are good. If you're not a computer wiz, I think I'd recommend ZoneAlarm first. It's pretty much install it and forget it. Doesn't require much tweaking. I have one older machine here running Win98 and ZoneAlarm 5.xx without any problems.

Reply to
Kerodo

With a dial up connection, running 98SE, I wouldn't bother with a firewall. I'd concentrate on disabling unneeded Windows services, like File and Printer Sharing:

formatting link
and unbinding Client for M/S Network from TCP/IP:

formatting link

Reply to
optikl

No need to, and unlikely to be usable on such old, limited hardware - Win98SE is fine. Make sure you update your system regularly, disable network services (disk/printer sharing), remove scripting host (if installed), remove personal web server (if installed). I would also suggest you use the Mozilla suite instead of the IE/Outlook Express - it's much more secure. A personal firewall is a must, as are a good and regularly updated anti-virus and a spyware remover.

ZA is fine, as are a few other free-for-personal use. ZA is probably best for a non-technical user (I personally prefer Kerio 2.x, but then I know a bit about IP stuff).

Probably too resource-intensive for your hardware.

Support costs. It's your decision if your security is worth the cost. If you want to pay some money an appliance might be an alternative.

Reply to
Mailman

It's appealing, because the cute GUI with lots of colorful icons to click on, and all those hyped-up "danger, Will Robinson, danger" popups, creates interactivity that lulls the user into an illusion that by clicking here and there, without understanding what's going on, he is in control.

Thor

Reply to
Thor Kottelin

In Message-ID: posted on Wed, 11 Aug 2004 13:52:53 GMT, Janice wrote: Begin

formatting link

Reply to
Bart Bailey

I will likely get flamed for this... Please don't take offense, none is intended, but the best protection is to learn all you can about the internet and TCP/IP. There is no such thing as a 100% automated security solution that actually works, nor will there likely ever be.

Reply to
T. Sean Weintz

Mailman wrote in news:411951e5 snipped-for-privacy@corp.newsgroups.com:

Mailman, we're going to do this slowly, one step at a time, because my computer knowledge is far more limited than your background.

1. From the day I got my Gateway laptop, I have not updated Win 98. Sy what you will, it's too late now.
  2. Please tell me/explain how to disable what you mention above. I don't even know what a 'scripting host' or 'personal web server' are. All I know is that they are not something I've installed after purchase.
  1. I'm staying with OE for now. The next laptop gets the 'gold treatment.'
  2. Running Norton AV 2003. Always get the updates, it does this automatically, and it scans all incoming and outgoing emails. I do a full system scan every 4-6 weeks. Is this sufficient?

Do you know/have handy the address for ZA on the internet?

1. For the above comment, which software program are you talking about? The purchase version of ZA? Is it better than the free version? Please keep in mind that my HD is very limited. I would appreciate your comments.
Reply to
Janice

optikl wrote in news:aOcSc.263897$JR4.91224@attbi_s54:

optikl, please remember rule #1: I know where the On switch is. In a Readers Digest version, what is "unbinding Client for M/S Network from TCP/IP."

Reply to
Janice

optikl wrote in news:aOcSc.263897$JR4.91224@attbi_s54:

Went to the above as you suggested. Followed the instructions. In the instructions, it states 'click to clear the File and Printing Sharing ceck box.........'

I don't have that line. Mine says 'Client for Microsoft Networks' and there is a check-mark in the box. Do I UNCHECK this box?

Please advise.

Reply to
Janice

Damn, fine advice ignored, how sad.

Depends on how often you enter any sensitive information like your email id/password, log into your bank, and how often to you have your pc connected to the net. (we, get back to that in a minute)

Let's look at a day on the network. Microsoft puts out a security patch. The crackers/blackhats creates a worm/virus to expoit within 72 hours and have sent the malware to the the world hunting systems which have not been updated. Is it the Second Tuesday, of the Month guessing no.

You are several of the lucky ones to catch the malware. The cracker is notified via the malware you are infected. The caracker then gets into your cracked system and puts in a backdoor, installs password sniffer/keyboard logger, and no telling what else. Now you system is part of the crackers zombie net and can rent time on your system for all sorts of things.

Mean while, your system in busy passing out the virus to other unpatched systems.

Sometime later someone sends the infection code to the antivirus people to look at. Their people look at if for awhile and they create a new signature/modify code as required, fold the update into the update pacakge, load the testbed with the virus, run the update and verify the virus is found and cleaned, if possible. Next clean the box, run the update, send and email with the virus and verify it traps the virus before infection. Yea, roll the update into the production servers.

Now, depending on when you told your av software to look, download the update. Guessing 4-6 weeks later you find out you are infected.

The good news, you have removed the virus. The bad news, the virus scanner, has no knowledge of what was done to your system when the cracker entered your system after you were infected.

So, Back to your 4-6 week question.

During this whole period: did you use your id/password to login anywhere. was your Zombied system used to transfer kiddie p*rn to/from somewhere. used to steal creadit card info from some business. used to steal money with stolen credit card numbers. used to lander/move terrorist money.

You tell us.

Reply to
Bit Twister

"T. Sean Weintz" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.supernews.com:

Sean, Please don't take offense either, but I do not have the computer expertise to understand everything there is to know about computers, networking, the internet, etc.

I run a small SOHO business that is just over a year old. There's light at the end of the tunnel, but I don't know if it's daylight or the headlamp of a train headed in my direction.

I have a car payment coming up and my efforts just have to stay focused.

Another person trying to help and posted a link to a page that talked about 'stuff' that was just over my head. I sincerely appreciate their efforts to help me.

I just came here for some advice, and maybe a little guidance setting up the program, from people who were knowledgible about computers beyond my dreams

Reply to
Janice

Cheers, Chuck Paranoia comes from experience - and is not necessarily a bad thing.

Reply to
Chuck

Janice - when I do things for my business myself I try and figure the real cost of doing it myself or having a contractor do it. If you look at how much time you are going to invest in securing your network, how many little issues you may experience, and such, then apply your hourly rate to it (since you could be working instead of doing this), you may find it's cheaper to hire a contractor to secure your network.

For what you are talking about, a standard tech could apply all updates, install updated AV software, install Zone Alarm, and bring it back to you in an hours time. If they can get a high speed connection to the internet it might even be quicker.

Reply to
Leythos

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.