Filter *.wmf files

With the publication of the recent exploit of Windows *.wmf files, it would seem that the best way to avoid any problems would be to filter out or block any *.wmf files.

This is easily done using Zone Alarm Pro for incoming mail. The problem is that I have found no way to block *.wmf files when browsing the net. I can't find any way to configure my router/firewall or Zone Alarm to provide any protection from web based exploits using *.wmf files.

Does anyone have any suggestions how this could be done?

Reply to
Ajax
Loading thread data ...

I believe that even if you filter by extension, .wmf, the file could be renamed by the attacker as .jpg or .bmp and still get through. Windows looks at the file format when rendering and will recognise it.

Reply to
Målidõk

Here you can find an FAQ about .wmf.

formatting link
""This might help. But it is not foolproof. Click Start, click Run, type "regsvr32 -u %windir%\\system32\\shimgvw.dll" (without the quotation marks), and then click OK. A dialog box appears to confirm that the un-registration process has succeeded. Click OK to close the dialog box.""

You can block this IP-ranges in youre firewall to. InterCage Inc.: 69.50.160.0/19 (69.50.160.0 - 69.50.191.255) Inhoster: 85.255.112.0/20 (85.255.112.0 - 85.255.127.255) /Anders

Reply to
Anders

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.