Filter MAC addreses on a Netgear DG834 router

Hi all, I share a 512kB connection with 3 other guys (we split the costs) in my corridor (we're House Masters in a boarding school). I use a netgear DG834 ADSL Firewall 4 port router

formatting link
and a Netgear 8 port switch. The thing is, is that nearly every room in the corridor (7 rooms) has a network cable so the nothing to stop someone from just plugging in the cables in their room and the back of the router... wa-la... they have a free internet connection. Is there any way I could allow/restrict access according to MAC addresses?

Reply to
shay
Loading thread data ...

Where is the modem and where do their cable go to. If your router is the only thing plugged in the modem and their cables aren't plugged in your switch they can't get to the internet. You should be able to limit the number of users, turn off DHCP and use fixed IP's and only allow the ones you assign. The specifics should be in the router manual..

Reply to
Woody

Another solution might be a simple locking cabinet.

Reply to
Woody

Hi there, The Router has a built-in ADSL modem and firewall... an all in one package.

telephone line-----Netgear ADSL Modem Router----- Network

I see what ya mean about the IP addresses.... does this mean I would have to goto each users pc give them an IP unique to that pc?... how would i do this?

Reply to
Shay

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.