ESET Security Suite & VMware

Trying to configure ESET Security Suite v3 to allow bridged networking from VMware Workstation v6 but virtual machines not being assigned IP addresses via DHCP on router.

Have tried creating various rules but no success. Only way to allow network access is to switch VMware to NAT translation. However, I need each virtual machine to have separate IP addresses - anyone know how this can be done?

TIA, staveley

Reply to
staveley
Loading thread data ...

AFAIK VMware can be set to use Bridged networking, then the guest OS's will have their own mac addresses and network connectivity. I mainly use vmware server (free edition) and you can definately do it from there.

Failing to see what ESET has to do with your networking setup though? Do you mean you have it on your PC that's running VMware and it's blocking outbound traffic? I use nod32 v2.7 and it doesn't do anything like that with me, it only blocks inbound traffic.

HTH Steve

Reply to
Steve Williamson

Thanks for the response Steve. Should have been more explicit - ESET Security Suite installed on the host PC and was not letting virtual machines access the local workgroup or the internet via bridged networking. Switching the virtual machines to NAT enabled the connections.

However, I've just de-installed ESS & VMware then installed the latest version of ESS (3.0.621) followed by a re-install of VMware and everything appears to be working via bridged networking. Guess it was a problem with the older version of ESS, network gremlins or just me !

Have a good Xmas. Cheers, staveley

Reply to
staveley

Cany you tell me, in what order are the "eset personal firewall" and "vmware bridge protocol" displaying in your lan connection's protocol list? In my case the eset is on top of vmware protocol, maybe that's the problem?

Reply to
vani

That's definitely not the problem, since it"s not a priority list.

However, I'd say the problem is obvious: ESET Personal Firewall is one of the typical personal firewall scams, where clueless people actually take the obviously ironic overstatements of the promised functionality for serious, and at the same time don't bother to even look at the implementation - which would tell them that the actual functionality of this software is to create random network errors as well as security problems.

Reply to
Sebastian G.

Version 3 of their antivirus is rather like that too.;) me

Reply to
bassbag

We have stopped recommending Eset products after my little ruin with Eset "customer support".

We had a customer that could not run Peachtree Accounting as long as ESS 3.0 was installed. And, I had problems sharing files among 3 XP Pro SP2 PCs - only hooked to a router in a workgroup at my home.

When I contacted Eset, it took 4 phone calls and 3 hours to try and work thorugh the issue. We never got it solved. They promised a call the next day - which never happened.

I had emailed them about the issue on January 17th, 2008 and they did not respond AT ALL until January 24th. Even then it was only to instruct us how to generate log files and email them to Eset.

We are a small business networking company and would NEVER think of letting our customers hang in the wind for 7 days when their business networks were being affected by something that we have done. So, we uninstalled Eset on their network and on my home network. And, after I rebuilt one of my XP machines, everything is working just great.

Was it really an Eset issue? We'll never know, as they abandoned us in our hour of need.

I had also asked Eset "support" about the red "theat screens" that advise users of a threat but offer no actions to take. They show a big red threat screen and there is no "quarrantine" or "delete" button to click and there is no indication that NOD32 is doing or has done anything about the reported threat. You just have to shut down the screen by clicking the red X in the upper right corner to close the window.

Now, how much confidence does that instill in a customer? Not much. They call us asking if the threat was cleaned, and we don't know. There is no log of the actions taken by NOD32 in cleaning threats.

And, from time to time, some applications will "just stop working" with NOD32 or ESS 3.0 installed. The reason is usually that Eset's software has seen the legitimate, benign software as a threat and has either quarantined it or outright deleted some core files. It does this with NO notification to the user and no log file showing what it deleted.

When I mentioned this to Eset's technical support, the support person said that they knew of these problems and were "trying to get the coders to do something about it". That's scary. They aren't in control of their coders?

When they finally emailed me back on Jan. 24th, I told them that we would not and did not keep our customers waiting 7 days to fix their problem. I advised them that we would no longer install Eset products or recommend them because of the horrid technical support that we recieved.

They responded by sending me a childish email mocking my decision to not run buggy software on my customer's networks and even saying that they wouldn't even run their new software. Then why, exactly, are they selling it to other people and why isn't it labeled BETA if they don't even trust it?

When I replied that I would post thier childish emails on the relevant newsgroups, they again replied with a childish email attacking me, their former customer and advocate.

I really advise anyone seeking a good antivirus suite NOT to use Eset products.

Jim Hubbard President - Worry Free PC

Reply to
jim

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.