Dynamic Routing

I have a Linksys BEFSX41 router. One of the options is "Dynamic Routing." It also offers a few options if you select Dynamic Routing. As you might expect, Linksys does little to explain why one would need to use Dynamic Routing. It offers Static Routing for networks with multiple routers. If I am not using Dynamic Routing nor Static Routing

- both are offered as options - the what type of Routing is my network using?

My system is a home network that includes both desktops hardwired to the router and a Linksys WAP54G wireless access point. The router connects to a cable modem.

Is Dynamic Routing something that would enhance the network or is it something for larger and more complex systems?

Reply to
Ajax
Loading thread data ...

formatting link
When I was using a Linksys router, I was told by the Techs to configure the router to use Dynamic routing even though I knew the topology of my network would not change. That was also the default setting of the router out of the box.

When I converted the BEFW11S4 router to be just a wire/wireless AP switch so that I could connect it to my FW appliance but still have WAP on the network, then I was told to use Static routing on the router that was just a switch.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Dynamic routing protocols and static routes are only for use on networks with more than one router. Let's take the following example of three networks and two routers.

(net1)__rtr1__(net2)__rtr2__(net3)

Each router is only aware of directly connected networks. Rtr1 does not know about net3 and rtr2 does not know about net1. We can add the following static routes to reach the remote networks.

rtr1: net3 via rtr2 rtr2: net1 via rtr1

Or, we can configure rip between the routers on net2 so they can automatically propagate their routes to each other.

Reply to
Dom

Bravo, Duane. What an intuitive, straightforward analysis of routing. I couldn't have come up with a better explanation myself. Oh wait, actually...

Reply to
Dom

I have to ask this. What is wrong with you? I think that you have some kind of problem.

Shall I get a pad and pencil and you lay down on the couch and we discuss your problems? Can I suggest Prozac or some kind of medication to you, because I am beginning to suspect, that there is something wrong with you.

Will you stop chasing me like some kind of lunatic nut. I already have one insane nut troll woman name K-Man that impersonates me in various NG(s), attacks people as me and she follows me around the NG(s) and here you are in a NG I have been coming to for years with you acting like some kind of a nut. I see you over there in the wireless NG and I have seen you here too. Do you see me in your face? Do you you see me chasing you around like I have had may heart ripped out like you seem to be displaying?

I have forgotten all about you. You seem a little trolly to me now. Are you going to start trolling me?

Will you please get your sorry self under control.

There is something wrong with you.

Duane :(

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Ooo we, ooo we, ooo we - ooo, you're just so impressive I tell you -- so impressive I tell ya. My goodness, you're such a Top Gun. You're a man amongst men in the router world I'll give you that. Can you show me some more of that NAT King Dom?

I couldn't help it.

The Devil made me do it.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Routing comprehension is crucial to an understanding of network security and you once again display a complete lack thereof. Routing comprehension is also vital to understanding unsolicited NAT traversal, which you have yet to discern an inkling.

Reply to
Dom

NAT please, you're talking to a home user that asked a simple question. The simple answer is what I gave him not what you gave him. If the OP understood it, I think the OP would have responded to your post. It's not all about this NAT. I myself think you have gone off the deep-end once again. You're becoming absolutely pathetic with this. I think you are pathetic and you're trolling me. The one thing I do know for sure NAT is that you need to be locked-up, as there is something wrong with you and that's obvious to me now.

Duane :(

Reply to
Duane Arnold

You gave him an answer? I must have missed it. All I observed was you repeating --likely incorrect-- configurations related to you by others with absolutely no technical basis.

Reply to
Dom

Static routing. Your router creates a default route based on a DHCP-provided default gateway address.

Dynamic routing is only for multi-router networks.

Reply to
Dom

I suppled him with a link. If the OP wants to know more about it, he can look it up for himself. He's a big boy. He doesn't need you to hold his hand that's for sure.

Look at you, have you been setting there waiting with baited breath for me to respond? You're pathetic.

Someone please call the asylum.

LOL

Reply to
Duane Arnold

I thought you already explained it in detail? Why back off of it now and try to go simple?

You tickle me.

Look, I am not roping you. You're roping yourself. I am not after you either. You're after yourself.

Settle down Dom settle down. I am not calling you NAT anymore and I will give you a little breathing room.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.