DSL Watchguard SOHO and VPN

Greetings,

I need to setup a temporary VPN at one of our offices using a DSL account. I am using a watchguard SOHO to establish the VPN tunnel.

The problem I see is.... the ISP issues a router/firewall appliance to connet to the DSL service. Behind this, I need to setup my WG SOHO. The ISPs router is set to subnet all PCs behind it, thus subnetting my SOHO and making my VPN tunnel impossible to setup. (As I understand it, my SOHO need to be end 'end-point', with an external IP address)

Anybody have any suggestions? Can the ISP's router be put into a 'passive mode'? Is there a way to setup MY SOHO so that the VPN tunnel will work running through the ISPs router?

Confusing enough? ;-)

Thanks!

Reply to
Frank G
Loading thread data ...

Get the ISP to set their device to BRIDGE MODE, that will give you a public IP on their network - you often have to call for this.

Also, a Dynamic IP is going to cause you problems with a VPN.

Reply to
Leythos

Great - I will give this a try.

Thanks!

Leythos wrote:

Reply to
Frank G

Very true. Make sure that your ISP has given you a static IP, or establishing a VPN will be very difficult, if not impossible.

Their router/firewall may also have an option for what's called 'Transparent mode' for IPSec, if that's what you're establishing the VPN with. What that will do is take IPSec packets and pass them on through without touching them for another program/firewall (such as the Watchguard) to deal with.

Hope that helps.

Craig

Reply to
crickel

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.