Don't understand firewall message

Hello Group: My system: Router Linksys BEFSX41 Desktop - Win XP Pro SP3 32 bit, Deerfield Visnetic software firewall Laptop - Win 7 pro 64 bit

Question: I just bought the laptop,plugged it into the router, and Win 7 set up the networking without any input from me. My desktop has an IP address of 162.168.1.151 The two connect just fine. But now I am constantly getting messages from the firewall on the desktop about an inbound TCP connection attempt: Source 192.168.1.100 (? the router or the laptop) on port 50193 Destination: 192.16831.151 (my desktop) on port 445

I would appreciate an explanation of what may be going on, and advice if I should block or allow it.

Maybe I need to give my laptop an IP address. My old one was XP machine with IP 192.168.1.152

Many thanks.

Jack

Reply to
JClark
Loading thread data ...

google says port 445 is part of file sharing. Recommend you set the LInksys to "port triggering" - that means open the port only if you request it.

Whereas "port forwarding" allows specified ports incoming.

Reply to
me again

There's actually a few vulnerabilities that use 445 to gain access when the vulnerable service is running on that open port. The main exploit being MS08-067. Doubt that's really an issue from inside your LAN if it's secured up, though.

If anything, disable the software firewall that's built into Windows. It's next to useless unless you're using a WiFi AP that isn't your own (or if yours isn't secured properly). I'd recommend letting your router handle it.

-John

--- Posted via news://freenews.netfront.net/ - Complaints to snipped-for-privacy@netfront.net

Reply to
John M

Reply to
JClark

I wasn't aware of that and will go into the router configuration and see what I can do. Many thanks

Jack

Reply to
JClark

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.