differences between AH and ESP algorithms

can someone please explain me what the differences between the AH and ESP algorithms for IpSec are? I looked online and they all talk abt the differences between AH Transport & AH Tunnel OR ESP Transport & ESP Tunnel.. i understand transport n tunnle, but how, when and why to use either AH or ESP?

cheers,

Reply to
dufffman
Loading thread data ...

can someone please explain me what the differences between the AH and ESP algorithms for IpSec are? I looked online and they all talk abt the differences between AH Transport & AH Tunnel OR ESP Transport & ESP Tunnel.. i understand transport n tunnle, but how, when and why to use either AH or ESP?

cheers,

Reply to
dufffman

ESP uses Protocol 50 AH uses Protocol 51

ESP is encrypted authentication AH is not

Reply to
Munpe Q

Also,

ESP - Provides data authentication, encryption, and antireplay services.

*Can be configured to encrypt the entire data packet or only the packet's payload.

AH - Provides data authentication and antireplay services. *Primary function is origin authentication, to verify data is from the sender. It does not provide data encryption.

Reply to
B. Gray

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.