Detect what software is blocking connections

Hello all!

If this is offtopic, please advise of a better newsgroup, I thought this may be the right one.

Our customers download and install our client/server based software on their computer. Many of our customers use Norton Internet Security and other types of software that block ours from connecting to the Internet. Sometimes the users don't know to click "Allow" and they block it then call us wanting to know why it's not working.

My problem is that on some computers, we can find no software that is blocking connections but it is obviously happening. My question is does

anyone know of any software out there that will tell you what program in memory is blocking network connections or acting as a firewall?

Thanks so much!

Matthew

Reply to
Connah
Loading thread data ...

on windows, these are usually Winsock hooks into the TCP stack as seen by spybot S&D:

Protocol 1: MSAFD Tcpip [TCP/IP] GUID: {E70F1AA0-AB8B-11CF-8CA3-00805F48A192} Filename: %SystemRoot%\\system32\\mswsock.dll Description: Microsoft Windows NT/2k/XP IP protocol DB filename: %SystemRoot%\\system32\\mswsock.dll DB protocol: MSAFD Tcpip [*]

Protocol 2: MSAFD Tcpip [UDP/IP] GUID: {E70F1AA0-AB8B-11CF-8CA3-00805F48A192} Filename: %SystemRoot%\\system32\\mswsock.dll Description: Microsoft Windows NT/2k/XP IP protocol DB filename: %SystemRoot%\\system32\\mswsock.dll DB protocol: MSAFD Tcpip [*]

Protocol 3: MSAFD Tcpip [RAW/IP] GUID: {E70F1AA0-AB8B-11CF-8CA3-00805F48A192} Filename: %SystemRoot%\\system32\\mswsock.dll Description: Microsoft Windows NT/2k/XP IP protocol DB filename: %SystemRoot%\\system32\\mswsock.dll DB protocol: MSAFD Tcpip [*]

Reply to
Jeff B

This is not as easy as expected.

One of the easiest ways is to try to detect the "Personal Firewalls" by having a list of signatures and finding them like a virus scanner finds viruses.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Jeff, many thanks for your reply! I've spent a few days researching this and your answer is about what I have come to understand from what I have read and seems to make the most sense. Do you have any idea HOW SpyBot determines what is hooking the winsock DLLs? I know just enough about Windows hooking to get a basic grasp on things, but not enough to figure out how to determine what is hooking. Thanks!

Matthew

Reply to
Connah

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.