delete hash from rule, jetico 1 fw (useful for Firefox nightlies)

one of the old jetico v1 annoyances was popping up to ask permission whenever firefox or tbird updated (nightlies).

looking to try firewalls, i reread this trick to update hash in rule from httpd.confused at fileforum: "You reconfigure it. All of it. For every changed application this applies to. Every time it changes. (Or, you can use the unintuitive trick where you edit an existing rule, put the cursor on the line that lists the path to the (old) EXE file, and then click OK. This forces the hash to be updated. Yes, you really do need to put the cursor in the path text box. And you'll then have to delete the new rule(s).)"

formatting link
(First google result is this fileforum post fileforum.betanews.com/review/1077527060/1/view)

so, i wondered what would happen if the file no longer existed (at that path?)

i deleted firefox.exe, and uninstall\\helper.exe then i did the httpd.confused dehash workaround. the hash disappeared from the rule.

i then undid those 2 deletions (via Edit menu of explorer) and did a firefox nightlies update, and firefox restarted without any popup from jetico. (eg, annoyance gone)

(updates\\0\\updater.exe gets wiped out by firefox's update process, so the dehash workround makes updater.exe's rule hashless, without need to temporarily delete updater.exe.)

i suppose no hash check may be less secure, but...

____________ this could also be useful for belarc advisor updates, etc.

____________ a small speedup tip when opening rule to edit: double clicking on the path or port opens the rule edit dialog with whichever you clicked ready to edit. so for above dehash workaround, double click the *path* of rule to be dehashed, click once in the path, then click OK until rule closes.

(though i think the hash disappears *before* you close the rules edit dialog).

other people's screenshots:

formatting link
that Ask User branch is open.
formatting link
that this person double clicked the Verdict column, so Verdict is active for editing

____________ x post in win98, because jetico 1 is "low resource" fw that runs on 9x

Reply to
Splibbilla
Loading thread data ...

No, wasn't. Just disable those useless popups.

No, doesn't. Any application is free to circumvent or actively answer those useless popups, thus it was never secure in any way.

Hm... and win98 is a low security joke that only fools would run (yes, this proves that there's millions of fools out there)

Beside that, where's your fup2?

Reply to
Sebastian G.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.