Defending yourself against Nazi IT departments

Layers. These boxes don't have removable media, so you can't move software or data around. The 'rbash' shell not allowing a directory character in a command or file name further blocks the possibility. The company firewall blocks access to this address range. Actually, the reason the O/P's idea won't work here is that we block access to ALL local ISPs, from Comcast, SBC, Road Runner. etc., on down to the "Mom and Pops" with a /24 and a T1.

"We" don't. The computers are owned by the employee association rather than the company, and share a separate broadband connection to a local ISP. The company provides power and physical space, but that's it. Abuse is controlled by the fact that the systems have limited capability, and by peer pressure.

We had an industrial espionage incident back in the 1980s. There was considerable screaming and gnashing of teeth. We're the company's R&D division, and our income depends on corporate profits, not so much as on sales. Information Security has a direct (as well as indirect) effect on those company profits.

Old guy

Reply to
Moe Trin
Loading thread data ...

Interesting. Is that a publicly available list? It's not something

*I've* come across before....

"Transferring the risk" :)

Bogwitch.

Reply to
Bogwitch

We're using a privately compiled list, based on knowing the "local" providers and the IP ranges they're using. Originally, it started as firewall logs (who were our users connecting to), modified by whois lookups. As for identifying the ranges for the larger providers like Comcast, SBC, Road Runner. etc., I've seen lots of reports of DNSBL blocklists available.

A much more effective control. The systems are positioned so that shoulder surfing is difficult, but you really wouldn't want to visit your favorite pr0n site, as someone would likely detect this - I haven't seen to many banks using _that_ for a splash screen.

Old guy

Reply to
Moe Trin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.